1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Steve Holt!

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Someone owes an apology ... to the Stooges!

Slacker likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's what I thought too.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Seems like Trump is trying to drive down Amazon's stock price as punishment for his own problems, which is a totally asshole move for any sitting president. Not the first time he's done this, either.

lakefront likes this.
  6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

The president using his office to settle personal grudges against private citizens is really, really scary.

lakefront likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m going from memory here, but it has something to do with the formula the USPS must use to calculate package rates, and how package volume has increased five-fold since then, but the formula hasn’t changed.

What the president doesn’t seem to get is that the decision isn’t Amazon’s OR USPS’s to make.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The USPS loses money. It's a shitshow -- even with Amazon's business. That said, Trump did this back in December during Christmas season, too. ... I believe it was a tweet about how Amazon is ripping off the USPS, which should be charging way more to deliver their packages.

Which is really dumb, because Amazon is going to find the most economic way to shave delivery costs. If the USPS became uneconomic to Amazon, there are other options. UPS will gladly take that business. And in fact, Amazon is a step ahead of the nincompoop. It has been building out its own logistics network and is close to rolling out its own delivery business, "Shipping With Amazon."

Trump is a moron.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Donny in his element likes this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This bothers me so much. He's so full of shit about being business friendly. Then he selectively uses the office to fuck with businesses HE doesn't like. The court case that just started over the bullshit antitrust action his DOJ is bringing against the Time Warner - AT&T deal is solely about him having a vendetta against CNN. Even if you think we need our government interfering in private commerce to pick winners and losers that cost us all. ... this is a vertical merger. Traditionally, they NEVER have gone after deals like this. You can't really argue they hurt anyone. But CNN. ... so. What is happening with that is more criminal than all the criminality Bob Mueller is probably finding. Then, he's emboldened to tweet that crap with Amazon. No doubt he'll try to use his power of office to hurt the company.

bigpern23 and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Unlike telecom companies, Amazon is very popular with the public. It also employs a great many people. How many cities and states have a piece of its action and want more? How would its many Prime members react to being told that "thanks to Pres. Trump, we have to charge you more"? In short, Amazon is in a position to hit back, and hit back hard.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Okies. Life moves pretty fast in the politics thread. I missed it.

bigpern23 likes this.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure at least half of my income gets forwarded to Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.