1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Seriously I give up. I'm tired of arguing with people. You can show them all the fact checks you want and point out who they're dead wrong, but there's a video of someone saying something "In their own words!" (Like Emma Gonzalez "admitting" she bullied the shooter) and you say that it was a short, edited video taken out of context to alter what she really said, the defense of her just doesn't pass the sniff test.
    The guy I was going back and forth with about the Hogg video was a pro boxer who has been interviewed at least 200 times and he said he never had anyone run lines with him before an interview. What am I supposed to say to that?
    It's just becoming more and more obvious that while I'm not certain these people are right, I have to be open to the idea that maybe they are.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

USPS lost 2.4 billion last year on just under 70 billion in revenues. So let's raise all prices by 10%. So that is about a nickel a stamp. That would provide seven billion in additional revenues less whatever the loss in revenue would be.

The average mailman or clerk at USPS tops out at about 60K a year. I think the USPS pension system gives the same benefits as the Civil Service Pension plan. under Civil Service ff you work until 62 you get 1.1% for each year of service. So if you work 35 years as a mailman and retire at 62 you will take home a pension of 23k a year plus social security. You will also get a match on the first five percent you put into an IRA.

Since you want to cut salaries how low do you want to take them? Do you favor eliminating their pension? I prefer paying the nickel.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't try back of the matchbook math. It's not that simple. Revenues have been declining, because their volumes have been falling sharply. Something like 3 or 4 percent last year on mail. That 10 percent number you magically came up with is probably another 3 percent behind how much you'd need to raise prices by the time you actually raised prices, if your reasoning were true, and it's not, because. .... ... that nickle a stamp thing is silly. They are not doing $69 billion in revenue selling stamps. Mail volumes have been falling off a cliff. Package delivery is where they are actually competitive (and volumes have been increasing).

If you raise those package prices by 10 percent, they aren't going to be competitive anymore. So what you just suggested would be the ACTUAL death of the USPS (assuming the madness would end once the politicians saw losses in the tens of billions per year).

An actual business that has to be competitive and find an equilibrium price in a world of supply and demand (not one being run philosophically on message boards) doesn't decide how much it wants to charge and just set a price. If that was the case, newspapers would print money. It either provides a service that it can profit at, at the prices consumers will pay. Or it doesn't. Package delivery is clearly something that is viable. ... for a WELL RUN business. That is an impossibility for the USPS, because of its nature. It locks itself into costs that guarantee losses, and your solution is, "Raise prices!"

Which is the other point of your, "Simple, raise prices 10 percent." You posted the fiscal 2017 loss. But this train wreck didn't start in the last year. The USPS has something like $125 billion of unfunded pension liabilities. Those haven't gone anywhere. So, go back to the matchbook. ... should they just raise prices by 125 percent to fix their problem? Because apparently in message board world demand isn't elastic, and people will just pay whatever the USPS charges (because UPS and FedEx don't exist, and nobody else will step in to compete).

I don't WANT to cut salaries. You are attributing motives to me. This isn't about MY wishes. It's about reality. I would be thrilled with every postal carrier earning a million dollars a year because their productivity is worth that million dollars to a thriving operation.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Post Office has never been or will it ever be run like a real world business. If it ran like other businesses it would extract higher rates in locations where no competition exists. It would also abandon service to locations where it is impossible to make a profit. I am pretty sure that the Post Office loses money on their retail outlet in Kotzebue, Alaska. But for political reasons but rates will not be increased to cover the cost of Kotzebue.

If the Post Office did increase rates 10% they would lose some business. But I bet they could maintain a lot of the traffic because private competitors would have no interest in competing in many of the areas the Post Office delivers to. And there are places they could probably increase it a hell of a lot more. But cross subsidies subsidy exist.

So, since rates are set by political bodies to subsidize various political interests, I support maintaining salaries at their current rate as a political decision.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They don't want to get killed in school.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also, wasn't the shooter a member of the JROTC?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And just as an historical aside, as frustrating as the US Postal Service may be, this nation would literally not exist in its present form without it.

Postal service going back to the 17th century has been a primary driver of development in this country, instrumental in building roads and railroads and air routes.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What you said has zero to do with the USPS today obviously, and the $125 billion or so of senseless debt obligations it has racked up in recent times. ... I mean, the Guttenberg printing press was instrumental to human development. And today we are living in an increasingly digital world, of course. I'd no sooner subsidize printing presses at collective expense, either.

Also, I really don't want to get bogged down in an argument about this. But just how instrumental was the USPS in building roads and railroads and air routes? People who make those kinds of arguments never look at the opportunity cost (which is difficult to know for certain) of the path we took relative to the alternative. I mean, what if demand for letters and packages being sent from one place to another would have dictated that those roads and railroads and air routes would have been built (because of that demand) anyhow (and I'd argue that is a near certainty). ... and really the USPS made it so that it was done in a much less efficient and more costly way that actually hindered overall development?

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.