1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Kapler is the unfortunate result of the trend of MLB teams installing figurehead managers (i.e., extensions of the front office) who have little or no managerial or even coaching experience.

I'm all for managers using analytics to "optimize" lineups, matchups and in-game situations, but I'd also prefer they be comfortable with the mechanics of making pitching changes.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That ump was really caught in the middle, but I think he made the right call letting the pitcher warm up.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Kapler, who I covered and like and think is a sharp guy, is managing like someone who's spent weeks trying to learn a foreign language and is now visiting that language's home country. He's paralyzed because he has to think about moves (the equivalent of verb tenses and vocabulary) rather than having them come naturally to him. Also, I'll bet he's real gunshy after the bullpen meltdown Opening Day.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The bullpen meltdown that didn’t need to happen because Aaron Nola was cruising. There was absolutely no reason to make that change other than to say, “look how big my coconut oiled dick is.”

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Felt more like a preplanned move made by management consensus prior to the game to me.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’s such a weird time for pitching right now. The Rays are using a four-man rotation with a “bullpen day” planned instead of a fifth starter. A postseason start that gets into the sixth inning is a rarity.

Everyone is tinkering.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It was completely preplanned, especially after Kapler stated in spring training that his
    Bullpen was one of the strongest parts of the team. Now, after three days, he has them worn out.

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Ohtani starts first game with 1-2-3 inning and two strikeouts.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Fun while it lasted—gave up three-run homer in second.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Unless I'm missing something, Kapler managed a single season of A-ball in 2007—11 years ago—and that's it. Everything I've learned in talking to managers, including minor-league managers serving long apprenticeships, speaks to the fact that the game clips along incredibly quickly when you're in charge of moving its many pieces. You have to know what you're going to do well before you do it. That's the problem with the pitching change, I think. Kapler didn't set things in motion nearly early enough. You can't wait until the situation is upon you to deal with it. You have to know the answer before the question is actually being asked. Which means you need to know the question will come.

In this instance, he had to know what he was going to do if his starter got in early trouble. Kapler obviously didn't.

It's weird that teams think that guys, however experienced as players, could just become managers without much in the way of practice or training. That runs contrary to baseball's entire system of development.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, though part of it may be an opening-week thing. The Pirates yanked Trevor Williams with a no-hitter through six innings even though he had only thrown 85 pitches. Of course, the situation is different. Nola is a much better pitcher than Williams and the latter had walked five batters through six innings, but I'm still guessing both go a good bit deeper in their respective games if those games were later in the season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.