1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the competing stations don't say it because they can't. They are likely owned by some chain headquartered a time-zone or two away.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yeah, most of the Boston stations use some variation of that formula. One that has a bunch of youngish anchors and reporters (not all, but most) has promos talking about how they all grew up here, or where their current suburban home towns are.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I've worked for locally-owned stations and that was a huge benefit. We could spend more and viewers felt they had more of a voice.

Current station is owned a time zone away but they leave us alone. We make a lot of money. They just collect the coins and smile.

However we are involved in the market a lot and that does count. Some places do have viewers who appreciate local longevity and institutional knowledge. It's cheesy but it does matter. Stability matters because of habit.

4. Michael_ Gee

Local news personalities in Boston can last for decades if they wish to, especially the weather people. Two different stations ran clips of current weathermen broadcasting during the Blizzard of '78 when its 40th anniversary came this February. Face it, local news viewers are mostly as old or older than me. It's a habit they started in the '60s and '70s. They like continuity.

5. exmediahack

On a media-related note, I got into it with our pastor a few hours ago at Easter worship.

He want on a rant about news media instilling fear and how the industry causes all sorts of fear.

Gave my kids the keys to the car and said "I'll be out in a few".

I told him that, like myself, his words have a large audience. I can't go out there and say that teachers, police, attorneys or health insurance companies are the cause of problems in our society.

"Blaming the news media for the country's condition is cheap and easy. You're better than this. I've been listening to you for years. We work so hard to get it right and we have people who say that we're evil and have agendas. That we instill fear. Some could say that the message here, each Sunday, instills fear in people. Join or burn forever."

Then I laughed.

Then he laughed uneasily.

I left it with "words matter" and to try and e responsible with whom he calls out.

matt_garth, Iron_chet, Hermes and 8 others like this.
  6. exmediahack

I've been in this 25 years and make a very good living. I do know that, any day, management could decide to fire me and bring in someone for half the price. When that happens, it will stink. I'll likely work at another station behind the scenes until the compete is up in a year.

The key is to never make the most money in the newsroom. I'm third or fourth but have the deepest skill set. Also on the shows that make the most revenue. It may not matter in the end.

I'm done climbing markets until I'm truly on my own. So I'll try and teach and mentor here while setting an example on how to kick ass every morning. :)

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Portland has at least four anchors with 20 years plus, a few weather people with at least 15 years plus. Which is kind of amazing because they're not all number 1 in the market.

9. exmediahack

They might not be number one but if they're a strong number 2 (and pull in, say, a 20 share of all TVs on), don't make TOO much in salary, they can usually stay. Most stations have a fear of slipping to number 3 instead of going for number 1. Falling to third gets everyone fired.

10. Michael_ Gee

We had a weird deal in Boston where the owner of the NBC affiliate (Sunbeam or whatever that outfit in Miami is called) dropped the network. So Comcast got an empty signal on the digital VHF area, Channel 10, and that's the new NBC affiliate. Predictably, both stations' news ratings cratered, so the other two stations that were 1-2 now basically have no challenge to that status. Channel 10 hired away one of the women anchors from one of the lead stations and uses the reporters from Comcast's existing regional cable news network. Oddly enough, nobody at either of the two cratered stations has been fired -- yet.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Send this to your pastor ...

[​IMG]

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Nice pull, given how Alisyn Camarotta has become Public Enemy No. 1 of the Faux News crowd these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.