1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Big difference between 68 and 85 pitches through six innings, as well.
    Williams might have gone, what, one more inning before getting to 100? You don't want to blow a guy up the first weekend of the season. If he was at 85 pitches through eight, then you send him back out there. When he's got to get through three more innings at that pitch count, there's no way he's getting there.
    Nola could have thrown at least one more inning, maybe two before he even got to 90 pitches. That's not pushing a guy too hard, plus it saves your bullpen when God only knows what might happen tomorrow.
    The Pirates' move with Williams was sound. Kapler's move with Nola made no damn sense.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My point was that part of it is the timing in the season. I'm not saying they should have let Williams go for the no-hitter. There is no way he would have made it at any point in the season. What I am saying is they probably try to let him get through seven if that was a game in June.

The timing for Nola's start was probably part of the decision, but I agree that it was a terrible move by Kapler.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Rays can call their 'bullpen day' whatever they like - it's just more cheapskatery.
    ML pitchers have been developed and conditioned to be slotted into five-man rotations.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Ohtani went 6. The homer and two singles that preceded it were the only hits he gave up. Angels ahead 7-3 in the eighth.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Certainly not a bad first outing, especially after he struggled so much in Spring Training.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Tigers announcers said Sunday's doubleheader was the earliest (April 1) known twin-bill in baseball history.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Giants’ big three acquisitions — McCutchen, Longoria and Austin Jackson — are a combined 2 for 43 with no walks. Maybe it’s because I have seen too many Aaron Rowands and Denard Spans come through here, but it feels ominous when older guys start like this.

The Giants are one of four teams in MLB history to score two or fewer runs in their first four games.

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

And the Twins' starting pitching threw 21 scoreless innings against the Orioles with the ace (E. Santana) injured and the big bucks guy (Lance Lynn) going Monday in Pittsburgh.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Six-Inning Shohei.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.