1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sinclair owns the longtime top affiliate in Providence, NBC10. Have heard of at least one prominent reporter who is ripping the policy around other media types while at news events. He hasn't had to say the magic words on air, far as I know. Wonder how many other on-air Sinclair folks are doing that, and if they're tried to fire anyone who does.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And then there's the fact that the new station to which you move might soon be owned by the same Sinclair operation once the Tronc deal is approved.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Almost as jarring as "the words" was the sameness of all of the news sets, the looks of the anchors. There is a sameness to local television wherever you go, no matter who owns it.
    I don't know how you would give a local newscast a particularly unique flavor, but the way it all comes across now is kind of bland. Police are always going to be looking for someone "tonight." People will always be "on edge." Parents will always be worried.
    I imagine the local newscast is experiencing the same problems as SportsCenter is.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Not really on the same problems. We have political dollars every two years. That keeps us afloat.

I also don't like the sameness and I'm a word snob so I take out the damn cliches from the copy. However it's so abundant from our reporters and also the networks. We're all consultant driven, held hostage by their same recommendations regardless of the market.

Anchors won't say anything on the Sinclair script. We make too much damn money compared to the reporters who do the real work. I mean that.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, famous dumbass Ron Johnson wants to remind America yet again that he is a famous dumbass ...

Mueller was appointed ‘far too soon,’ Wisconsin senator says

Special counsel Robert Mueller was appointed “far too soon” to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, Sen. Ron Johnson said Sunday.

Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican who chairs the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said in an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” that he is concerned a special counsel had hindered investigations by Intelligence panels in both the House and Senate.

"What I've always said about it was — the special counsel was named far too soon. I would've much rather had the Senate and House Intelligence Committees complete their report.”

"There, there are completely different goals of a special counsel versus congressional oversight. I think, in this case, the most important thing is public disclosure," Johnson said. "And that is harmed when you start having special counsels, and all the information is, is gathered and is held close and sometimes never disclosed."

[​IMG]

6. exmediahack

I have too much to repent for as I've sinned with my Laz-E-Boy.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Chris Wallace does a good job facilitating discussion on Fox.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The top two stations here have main anchors with 25-plus years of tenure. The top station has a chief met who grew up locally, went off to college and came back. He’s in his upper 30s with nearly 20 years on air. Dude is beloved. They’re all making around $100k - which is very nice here.

The Nextstar station is a dumpster fire. Rotating in new anchors every couple years, focusing on happy-happy stories.

9. exmediahack

As much as we all have disdain for Sinclair, almost all of us think Nexstar is even worse.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's just like with newspapers. You wouldn't have bottom feeders like these companies (or DFM or Gatehouse) if these were properties with any prospects of real growth and long-term profit.

12. exmediahack

Some properties are in local TV. They're rare. You need a number one station in a market with cold weather and older demos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.