1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Todd Marinovich, the Happy Ending

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to argue on the merits that the New York Times' approach to the Jets beat with Karen Crouse as the beat writer was or was not the right approach.

I was narrowly stating that I thought whether it was or not it was a legitimate point of discussion on a sports journalism forum.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Let's not get bogged down on the NY Times' Jets beat details.

Focus, people. Focus.

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Wait, so nobody ever met either of them? Not at any of the gatherings?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's perfectly legitimate.

The NYT can afford to approach beats different because other outfits do more of the nuts and bolts work. This could be said of NYT's approach on many things.

I don't begrudge them that, and I enjoy reading some of those pieces, but I don't genuflect at that altar, either. And, honestly, too many writers and reporters do. The world is not always a series of big, magnificent features and human tales. It's part of how journalism missed all of...this...that has become America and American sports.

The business needs all kinds. It even, on the very rarest of occasions, needs the hated Deadspin.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The only time Boom ever replied to something I posted was when I mentioned the book Collision Low Crossers about the 2011 Jets, he had read it too and notes there were loads of stories in there missed or ignored by those on the Jets beat. As I recall he was an old-school New York hoops guy too, the Knicks, the old Big East.

gingerbread likes this.
  6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep. I recall the Knicks, the Jets and, for some odd reason, Mike Leach, were Boom's primary sporting interests.

And, btw, how much would he get a kick out of this thread? Seeing us still trying to figure him out all these years later.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have no doubt he's reading it. And so is 21. WITH THE SAME SET OF EYES.

gingerbread likes this.
  8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is true.

But it's also not what Boom did.

He spent a great deal of time and energy making sexist cracks about Crouse writing Jets coverage for 'O' magazine or Ladies Home Journal.

gingerbread likes this.
  9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I loved debating Boom about John Gagliardi's no-tackling practices. He wasn't a fan and I wish he was still here so we could watch football move totally in that direction in the next few decades.

And 21 helped me through a deeply difficult personal time in PMs and I'm forever grateful to her, or to him, or to whoever sent the messages.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Boom's primary sporting interest, IIRC, was John Kerry's various attempts at looking manly by waterskiing and shooting.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You rang?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted