1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Brian Dozier is the OOP of baseball, isn't he?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well, a four-run game can be tied with one swing of the bat. I'll bet he did it to be a dick, but it's not totally out of line.

As far as teams in the same city playing on the same day, I've been to see the Cubs and White Sox on the same day and Yankees and Mets. They don't play at home often on the same day, but it happens.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nah. If you want to call it trolling, that's more Dickie's style. If you want to call it hypocrisy, that would be YankeeFan.

It's an understandable mistake you made there given how often I seem to dominate your thoughts.

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

LongTimeListener and JC like this.
  5. outofplace

And there's stalker number two with his latest pull from Google to cover for the fact that he never has anything worthwhile to say.

But hey, the other pile-jumper, JC, gave you Fly a like so I guess all is right with his world.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Come on, man, you’ve got to laugh at yourself once in a while! That was pretty funny.

7. LongTimeListener

pern, it was exactly how Brian Dozier would have reacted.

bigpern23 likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

Oh, Gabe Kapler. From The Athletic:

Defensive shifts and alignments a gamble Phillies willing to...

J.P. Crawford instinctually reacted to the baseball.

He stepped toward the grounder, cutting in front of second baseman César Hernández. A slight bobble didn't prevent Crawford from throwing out the Mets' Jay Bruce for the first out of the sixth inning in Tuesday's game.

But the Phillies' drastic defensive shift for the lefty slugger, which had three players including the shortstop Crawford positioned right of second base,
    left the base unmanned. Instead of a potential double play or force out at second, Yoénis Céspedes advanced into scoring position and scored two pitches later thanks to Todd Frazier's double. It was a pivotal first run in the Phillies' eventual 2-0 loss to the Mets.

But wait! There's more!

Nick Williams was 245 feet from home plate, according to MLB Statcast, when Amed Rosario smacked Drew Hutchinson's first-pitch slider over Williams' head for a two-run triple, giving the Mets a 4-2 lead with two outs in the sixth inning Wednesday.

Williams was noticeably shallow during the at-bat. The average right fielder's starting position at Citi Field in 2017 was 297 feet. Assistant pitching coach Chris Young is in charge of aligning the outfielders before every opposing hitter steps into the batter's box. He will also signal to outfielders mid at-bat if adjustments are needed.

Kapler wasn't considered about accounting for the wind, which was a brisk 20 mph and blowing out to right field at first pitch.

“To depend on the wind to push the ball around there was not what we were optimizing for,” Kapler said.
    “We’re optimizing to take the away the ball in front of us and we’re not thinking about getting beat by slug power or extra bases in those situations.

Statcast: Rosario's go-ahead 3B

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Brian Dozier thinks the Orioles lacked reading comprehension.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Otani looking like the best bargain since Trout was a rookie (damn same team too.)

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't think we've seen managerial ineptitude like we're seeing since Maury Wills' days with the Mariners.

12. outofplace

My standard for humor must be higher than yours. LTL's attempt at a joke was tired and unoriginal at best, and it really just shows that sad little obsession he has with me.

To be fair to me, Dickie and YankeeFan are better comps. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.