1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm not saying that it was a good or efficient use of resources when Bush and Obama did it. It was costly. But when they did it, they were responding to surges in illegals crossing the borders at the time.

Right now, the idiot-in-chief has a solution looking for a problem. Which is what happens when the president is signing orders based on what he saw on Fox and Friends. According to the DHS at the end of last year, arrests of people trying to cross illegally from Mexico hit its lowest level since 1971, a 46-year low. Which makes sense, because things ain't that great in the U.S. for low skilled workers, and things have gotten better in Mexico during that time. To the extent there are people coming in, it has been from some of the central American countries, where there are gang problems, but it isn't like those people are streaming over the border. It's an arduous journey, and most can't afford it.

This administration has been endless bullshit designed to obscure fact and feed bigoted red meat to people looking to scapegoat others because they aren't happy with their lives. It's disgusting. What is sad is that the facts of the world don't even come close to the bullshit rationale for anything he does (I am thinking about the tariffs, too, which can get me going on a whole other tangent), yet there are enough ignorant people out there happy to buy into what is essentially veiled bigotry.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If I were a member of the Border Patrol, I'd be kind of hacked off. There are currently more than 20k Border Patrol agents in the southwest. Twice as many as 10 years ago.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's the first time we've not had an Infrastructure Week or Day in months. That slows things down.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

10. Inky_Wretch

11. Inky_Wretch

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member