1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not playing a game. You're playing a game. You are arguing that a 19 at-bat sample size is determinative. I'm arguing that a 19 at-bat sample size is too small. Mine is the mainstream opinion. Yours is not.

And, not for nothing, you keep bringing it back to Bloom's opinion. But you also declared ultimate victory over the scouts who said that his bat will be "not good."

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ohtani's mother is well-known for helping babies walk around Orange County.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Small sample size or no, there is at the moment no evidence to support the contention Ohtani cannot hit in the big leagues and a little bit of evidence supporting the contention he can hit like a mofo.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The season started, he set records that have stood since Babe Ruth played 100 years ago, two idiots with keyboards said stupid stuff, one has already posted a mea culpa about his stupid stuff, the other wrote He’s not going to be ready as either a pitcher or hitter when the season starts and he wins the AL player of the week in the second week of the season.

5. Dick Whitman

You are responding to an imaginary post.

6. Dick Whitman

He has 19 plate appearances.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When an MLB columnist writes a mea culpa column about his spring training prediction before the Masters concludes, he was spectacularly wrong.

8. Dick Whitman

Jeff Passan is not the arbiter of whether he was wrong initially or not.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I have no idea.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The broken bat was vs Piazza and the Mets.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was responding to the whole Ohtani discussion, not one individual post. Guy comes in insanely highly touted, then gets off to torrid start. That's the story here, not whether the skeptics will someday be proven right or shown to be wrong.

12. Dick Whitman

That might be the "story here," I agree, but Poin declared the scouts in Passan's column to have been "proven . . . spectacularly wrong." They haven't been.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.