1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I trust experts over non-experts. But when I am something of an expert, I trust myself over everybody else.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A baseball expert?

3. typefitter

I know a little bit about baseball, and I know more than most about Japanese baseball.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Ok.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Regarding the other part of your post about Japan youth baseball and high pitch counts, you should read that chapter in Passan’s book, if you have not yet. It’s child abuse, practically.

JC likes this.
  6. typefitter

Jeff and I have discussed that a bunch.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know more about baseball than I know about all other topics combined, and I assume Passan still knows exponentially more than I do.

That said, I have always understood that scouts need a lot more time to evaluate the hitting tool than any other, even with amateurs, before reliable bases emerge for evaluation. That said, he offered his mea culpa way too fast here, although he did note that Ohtani has adjusted his mechanics since that column.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Scouts need more time to evaluate the hitting tool than others, but after 14 at-bats in Spring Training, you're good with them declaring that Ohtani wasn't ready to hit major league pitching. You're funny.

9. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Nothing happening in Baltimore.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Single through Donaldson's legs.

I don't envy that official scorer. If he stays down, it's in his glove.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ceteris paribus your conjecture makes sense, but I suspect the way they measure average exit velocity — it’s based strictly on contact (I think) — makes ceteris rarely paribus.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My ceteris was paribus once. But then MD gave me a cream. Cleared up in like a week.

Fred siegle and Hermes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.