1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL ... Sorry. I gotta be me.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I know! It's great! I honestly missed the Latin (not sarcasm. Think many of us are happy Lent is over)

3. doctorquant

Chuckling ... I didn’t even think of the Latin angle. Was thinking of the social scientist one.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I probably get Rosetta Stone ads for Latin just from looking up terms from DQ posts :D.

Back on the subject of baseball:

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Since he has you on ignore I’ll answer that for him. You are responding to an imaginary post.

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Separately, has anyone else noticed MLB.tv has gotten materially worse this year? Web-based viewer no longer offers ability to watch multiple games, or start one in progress from the beginning--not to mention it repeatedly ignores that I have selected the option to avoid spoilers. And I noticed today that I wasn't able to jump from inning-to-inning on my Amazon fire stick either (although I could fast forward). I suppose I can't complain too much since my disappointment stems, in part, from how amazing it's been in the past, but still annoying.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, I'm not. And no, I don't believe he does. He is hiding behind the claim. He's made the claim before and it was proven false.

Dickie is once again proving he does not care how ridiculous a rhetorical pretzel he turns himself into as long as he doesn't have to concede the point. And you are once again proving you will post just about anything as long as it gives you an excuse to take a swipe at me.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Exit Velocity measures the average speed of the ball coming off the bat of all batted ball events, so, no, strikeouts matter not to the discussion. Sounds like a good fangraph, though, of AEV one the course of a season (or even career).

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL.

Yes, I’m aware strikeouts wouldn’t affect exit velocity.

My question is whether slumps are affected by exit velocity.

11. doctorquant

I know this guy who’s pretty good with statistics, but I want to make sure I understand your conjecture clearly before I put it in front of him.

I’m reading your conjecture as being along the lines of “Higher (lower) average exit velocity is associated with a lower (high) propensity to batting slumps.” Is that it?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think he means more reliably predictive of long-term results than ... results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.