1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The fact they’re 6-5 is a minor miracle. But having Corey Kluber and Andrew Miller helps.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The AL Central has 3 really awful teams, so Cleveland should skate to the division title. But yeah, they might have the worst hitting outfield in baseball not counting the Marlins.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Gotcha, I misunderstood your question.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That’s it, yes.

That too, I think.

Mostly I just wonder if it varies, if guys have good weeks and bad weeks in terms of exit velocity.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Six-Inning Jake now a workhorse:

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Who is this Six-Inning Jake whom you speak of?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's buds with Twice-a-Week Shohei

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Does this have more to do with the fact that it is the first 10 days of the season? Gotta baby those arms to start the season. (they say)

9. Steak Snabler

No, I think it's that analytics have determined that you should get your starter out after two trips through the order, then bring in a series of guys who throw 95 mph for 15 pitches each to finish up the game.

This genie is not going back in the bottle unless they pass a rule limiting the number of active pitchers on a roster. If they went to an NFL-style "game day" roster (where you could rest your inactive starting pitchers and still have 25 guys available), teams would just use all the extra spots on relievers.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The other day someone on Facebook asked whether there would ever be another 300-game winner. My brother replied, "Of course there will be. What a silly question. This is the same thing you sports writer types were telling me in 1992."

But I really don't think there will be.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Kershaw (144 wins, 30 years old) is about the only active pitcher who has even an outside shot. And Bartolo Colon, of course, because he's going to pitch into his 70s.

12. Steak Snabler

I used to think CC Sabathia had a good shot. He was at 176 wins through age 30 and 206 through age 32, but he's had 31 wins in the four years since.

bigpern23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.