1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Given the lifespans at the time Social Security was enacted, it's amazing it got passed at all.

"Wait a minute. We're in the middle of a depression, and you want us to contribute a percentage of our salaries all our working lives so we can collect at age 65. When our average life expectancy is only 59.9 (for males in 1935)?"

No wonder it ran a booming surplus.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That number factored in a much larger rate of infant mortality as well as accidents and illness early in life.

I can't find the exact numbers right now, but once a person reached Social Security age, he was likely to live for a while. Just not till 80 or 90 or beyond as is so often the case today.

It was pretty spot-on at the time of passage IMO. It has gotten outdated, though.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The American political spectrum used to be a lot more liberal. Conservatism meant slightly less government, not fuck-off anarchic plutocracy.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Don't bring a ball bat to a gunfight.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Are you ok with these programs being cut or eliminated? You've invested in them. Paid your taxes.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don't want my children in any classroom with a bat that's not Bbcor Certified.

8. tapintoamerica

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think I'm rare in this regard, but I've been at least giving weight to the doomsday predictions for as long as I've been in the workforce, and yeah I'm OK if my benefits are reduced. I'm 46 and I have almost 20 years to adjust to that.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No, I haven't. No one has.

11. tapintoamerica

So now the only republican running for Ryan's seat is Nehlen, the raving racist. Trumpists used to mock people for talking about this guy, claiming it was meaningless chatter. Now what? Will they support him?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's a local elected official, a woman, who's making noise about getting in now that Ryan's out. I'm betting Ryan's big money boys are burning her phone lines right now pledging to make it rain for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.