1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Make it 105.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Take my post with a grain of salt, because I am a Yankees homer. Austin went in hard, but it wasn't a dirty slide that crossed the line. His spikes were high, and I get being annoyed by that, but he was sliding for the base, didn't go out of his way to try to spike the fielder and he barely got him. He did NOT overslide, the way Alex Cora said after the game. 20 or 30 years ago, I don't think that would have gotten much of a response. That kind of hard slide was expected from a pro player.

After the words, I thought for sure the Red Sox would throw at him the next at bat. They didn't. That was why the retaliation was particularly bush in my estimation. They wait until the 7th inning, and then even, if you are going to drill him, just drill him. Instead, he drilled him on the third pitch of the at bat. ... after they had pitched to him in the at bat before. If you are going to retaliate, retaliate. But don't go about it that way.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

There have been worse slides, sure, but this one was horseshit all the same. Just wasn’t necessary. It wasn’t to break up a double play, because they were never going to get two. And I disagree that he was sliding for the base and that he didn’t go out of his way.

Also horseshit: suckering the third base coach who was being held back.

lakefront likes this.
  4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Agree to disagree. He slid right into the base. His spikes were high, but he didn't slide past the base to where he didn't have contact with it, or in a way that it was clear he was just trying to take out the fielder. Which was why they didn't rule it a double play based on that Chase Utley slide rule.

On the third base coach, I didn't see a sucker punch. I saw a lot of bodies and his fists flying and that coach having gotten himself into a place where an errant punch got him.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I got tickets to ohtani's projected start on the mound a week from Sunday. I hope that he has not been demoted to the minors by then. Scouts and baseball opinion-makers are talking.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I’m surprised, legitimately, at how controversial it is here to say that 19 plate appearances are not determinative of someone’s ultimate success or failure in the major leagues.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

8 RBIs in 22 at-bats ... extrapolated into 500 at-bats ... means he'll have 181 RBIs.

Fuck Hack Wilson!

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Hack Wilson had 191
    Lou Gehrig had 184
    Hank Greenberg had 183

;)

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

OK, you might have a point with the punch on
    Febles.

But on the slide, they were never going to call that a double play because a double play was never on the table there. And that’s my point and why I think it was a horseshit slide.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Don’t let David Haugh hear you.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary post.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is no controversy in you defending bad baseball takes by Passan and Bloom. That kind of thing has happened since the beginning of this board.

Hell, somebody here probably defended the Mike Lombardi take on the coaching capabilities of Doug Pederson right up until the NFC title game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.