1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We spent a ton of time on this in multiple law school classes. In fact, as I recall, the exam question in "Race and Rhetoric in American Legal History" was to rewrite the Brown opinion.

The opinion was 100 percent outlined and then executed as an essay targeted for the American citizenry, not a traditional reasoned legal opinion.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Well, that's the thing here. Blumenthal, the Senator who asked the question, does it for every judicial nominee. So 1. Doubtless having been briefed on this, Vitter didn't bother to formulate an answer or 2. She is incapable of discussing what you have shown to be a standard legal topic or 3. She knew her non-answer would please her homies down in Louisiana.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You forgot 4 ... she knew she was responding to a tribunal a significant proportion of which is even less intellectually honest than ... well, I would say you, but you actually have a few moments of intellectual honesty now and then.

SpeedTchr and justgladtobehere like this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

That's part of the job of a congressional witness. You KNOW there are going to be questions designed to be gotchas, and you'd better be prepared for them. Sloughing off the question is if nothing else, lazy. And it garnered her a lot more negative attention from the public than if she'd responded with some standard blah. Judges are good at blah as a rule.

7. doctorquant

Stipulating that she truly believes Brown was "decided incorrectly" (in the way that I've discussed), there's no way to answer that question other than how she did. Indeed, her answer strikes me as the prepared response.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When he turns 50, Ryan will receive about $79K a year in a public pension, for his 18-year tenure in Congress. Of course, that's not an entitlement. However, your $15-18K of Social Security, earned through 40 years of payroll deductions and not available until 62 years of age, is, and should be slashed.

And he has the nice $500,000 bribe the Koch Brothers gave to his campaign fund for the tax bill that is saving them millions as a parting gift.

Drain the swamp!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  9. Michael_ Gee

Then she can own the wholly justified heat. What do you think any person of color heard in that answer? I doubt it was rarefied legal theory.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ill prepared, unqualified and/or racist. Why wasn't she already in the Cabinet?

TigerVols likes this.
  11. doctorquant

Wow. And you have the nerve to call her ... hell, anyone for that matter ... a racist.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Not to mention you know he will have a “consultant” job lined up before he leaves office

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.