1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just relaying the opinion of scouts:
    All spring, your teammates were telling anyone who would listen: You should see Ohtani in batting practice. It’s special. And I scoffed, having seen dozens of guys who put on a BP show only to shrink during games.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nothing like a fluky, unsustainable 7-5 start to make a team's beat writers start to believe they're better off without the best prospect in baseball:

TigerVols likes this.
  3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Kenley Janson was a catcher in the low minors

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What is that from?

5. poindexter

The other faux pas was the headline: “The verdict is in on Shohei Ohtani’s bat and it’s not good.” If I replace “verdict” with “early report,” it sounds plenty more reasonable. Still wrong, but at least more fair.
    No scout wrote that.

6. poindexter

7. Dick Whitman

8. poindexter

The other faux pas was the headline: “The verdict is in on Shohei Ohtani’s bat and it’s not good.” If I replace “verdict” with “early report,” it sounds plenty more reasonable. Still wrong, but at least more fair.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Dick Whitman

That doesn't make it Jeff Passan's opinion.

Let's say I'm a judge. The jury returns with a verdict. I read it, look up, and say, "The verdict on the defendant is in, and it's not good."

That doesn't mean I, Judge Whitman, think the defendant is guilty. I am clearly referring to the verdict rendered by the jury or, here, the scouts.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

FWIW, I have far less problem with Passan's piece than with what Bloom was saying.

The scouts are spectacularly wrong. (Yes, they are.) But Passan was giving an insider's view and a very well-informed one. It exposes the groupthink of baseball people (as I've said before, this is all because those "baseball people" don't think the Japanese League is very good). But Dick's right, it is a recounting of what they were thinking, not of what Passan thinks. He did seem to take their opinion as his own, so that's a flaw, but it wasn't like he just watch the guy hit and said "ah fuck, with that front hip position he'll never amount to anything!"

Bloom's tweet and related writing are a perfect picture of what's most wrong with sportswriting. He thinks he is an expert on hitting because he has watched a bunch of games. He doesn't know jack shit.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I loved it two years ago in the playoffs when Kershaw came in for the save in Game 5 against the Nationals. It was the second save of his professional career and the first since rookie ball, where his catcher was ... Kenley Jansen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.