1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, for heaven's sake. Refusing to defend Brown is a red flag to Americans of all sorts. It is prima facie disqualifying for the federal bench except now we live in a world where even to intelligent people like yourself, noting the fact of white racism is somehow unfair.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Begging your leave to amend my earlier assessment of the rate at which you exhibit intellectual honesty.

QYFW likes this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, you just did.

And I'm confident Dick W could do likewise.

What's wrong with saying

"Senator, I agree 100% with that decision, but had I been on that court, I might have argued with my colleagues as a matter of law over how we arrived at it."

To be followed by her exegesis of Constitutional law as to Brown v Board of Education.

I understand the wariness over political 'gotcha' / litmus test questions, but aren't confirmation hearings also meant to prove ones' bona fides for the job?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing.

And if your take is that her response reveals a lack of preparedness/gravitas/etc. with respect to the job for which she's being vetted, that's perfectly fine (if arguable).

My criticism is with the idea that OF COURSE her response reveals her as a MONSTROUS segregationist who'd send 'em to the back of the bus the INSTANT her ass hit the bench. That's a crock of shit.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

garrow likes this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The two things are not mutually exclusive, but I guess my point is that the ambiguity of her non-answer raised more questions than it was worth. Even in that politicized, hypocritized setting.

If her objection was strictly a matter of the law, she might have been better off saying so.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Russian newspaper Kommersant is reporting (for what that's worth) that Trump will give Russia a target list prior to any attack on Syria. On the one hand, this is prudent because blowing up Russians would be bad. On the other hand, what's the point of any attack in the first place since the Syrian government will get the list about 30 seconds after Russia does.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL. Didn't Trump pull us out of TPP in his first week in office?

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

This is all really strange. I was sure that governing by talk radio hot take was going to be an enormous success.

Just like all the times baseball and football teams successfully manage by sports talk radio hot take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.