1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who would you rather have?

* 59 homers, 132 RBIs, .281 avg, 1.007 OPS, 168 hits, 32 doubles and triples combined

* 31 homers, 113 RBIs, .318 avg., .897 OPS, 214 hits, 47 doubles and triples combined

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The RBI differential is what makes that decision an easy one ...

lcjjdnh, JC and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm not sure that's exactly the case study that demonstrates the issue, Songbird.

bigpern23 and JC like this.
  4. Songbird

I'm trying to see what the issue is for those who hate the stat.

I don't say it's an end-all be-all stat. But it's certainly not a dinosaur stat.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s right there with Wins and saves.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Have we not tried to explain it? To review, it doesn't tell us anything about player performance that other stats that isolate player performance do not, and it introduces a high risk of unreliability due to (1) its dependence on the performance of other players; and (2) fluctuations within small sample sizes.

7. Songbird

No, show me some data.

Fluctuations within small sample sizes? Your erection for small sample sizes is large lately.

If Player A has 324 at-bats with runners on base, is that a "small sample size"?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s also lineup dependant.

9. Songbird

I acknowledge that.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In 1994, Tony Gwynn batted .298 with runners in scoring position and .394 overall.

In 1997, Tony Gwynn batted .459 with runners in scoring position and .372 overall.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The question isn't whether or what it captures, but is what it captures significant. As you acknowledge by stating it is dependent on situation, it isn't significant. Players do not have an ability to hit for RBIs, the have the ability to hit for power and not make outs so those things are more significant and are better measures of talent and contribution.

12. Songbird

Not sure what I should take from this.

Though I looked and in '94 (134 PA's) he had 47 RBIs with RISP and in '97 (179 PA's) it was 99 RBIs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.