1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Of course this is wrong. Unless you can tell me which scout wrote the headline to the article. Because passan has already owned up to that spectacular nugget.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dick has been spectacularly wrong every step of the way on this thread. This has been like a layup for OOP.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I see bullshit. I call bullshit. If the person spewing the bullshit wants to act like a coward, that won't stop me from calling bullshit.

It's not exactly new for me to point out the ridiculousness in one of Dickie's arguments.

John B. Foster likes this.
  4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I disagree.

JC likes this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I disagree.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how I feel about exit velocity being mentioned in almost every baseball recap. I get that it's a sexy stat and it seems to be replacing distance as a barometer of how much a ball was mashed. But it's quickly become ubiquitous and a little annoying.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. outofplace

Ty, that's enlightening. Which part do you disagree with? That I call bullshit when I see it? That I won't let a poster's cowardice stop me from pointing out things that are wrong or make no sense? That it's not new for me to have an issue with something Dickie wrote?

All those things are true.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ya also get an RBI if the bases are loaded and the pitcher drills you between the shoulder blades. I'm OK with that.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Passan did not an issue on Ohtani. He characterized the scouts’ opinions as a “verdict.”

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

In this instance, I disagree with all of it. You, more than anyone, have contorted the very singular argument he has been trying to make into something it isn't.

11. outofplace

Yeah, you're wrong about that, too. He has gone on and on about the folly of using small sample sizes, yet he has expressed no problem with the scouts' verdict in Passan's original report, which was based on an even smaller sample size. The truth is Dickie likes whatever sample size suits his argument at that time.

He's also claiming that anybody who disagrees with him is claiming that Ohtani has proven himself already as a major league pitcher and hitter. That isn't the case. He could certainly still falter, but he was ready to be in the majors opening day. That much is clear.

Read Passan's follow-up. The scouts weren't wrong about the flaws in Ohtani's swing. They were wrong because they didn't think Ohtani could make the adjustment quickly enough, but he has done exactly that. I've seen a video breakdown on MLB Network that showed how he changed his mechanics, which allowed him to better handle those inside fastballs that gave him so much trouble early on in spring training.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Just heard Mike singing his praises on the Bill Simmons podcast this week--although he declined to issue a final verdict until they visit NY to play the Yankees in May, because he really needs to see a player in person to adequately evaluate him...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.