1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I agree. And the world should know, given the number of presidents they've had installed by America. :)

Losing and gaining seats is kind of like those tennis rankings. It often isn't how well you did in a tournament but how many points you had to defend. If you're defending a lot of seats, you stand a pretty good chance of losing some.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Was coming in to post just this. Come 8 years or so, we'll just ping-pong back the other way, like we always do. And so on and so on.

SnarkShark likes this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, Obama was the response to the awful presidency of W, right? He got eight years, and a hostile Congress. Now Trump. The pendulum is swinging wildly. Maybe the response to Trump will be someone like Bernie. But in four or eight years, it'll be a new Trump in response to him.

America is such a fundamentally divided country right now that I don't have a lot of hope for it.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's at least in part because we have a shorter history than most.

If I had to guess, I'd project this next 75 years or so as "The Chinese Century."

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We're Oregon athletics.

Brash. Obnoxious. Came on the scene late and think we invented everything.

And instead of cursing it, we should be thankful it took so long. Their 20th century coma helped America greatly.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I don’t think the nation actually is as fundamentally divided as the corporate media and the white power structure wants us to believe. At the end of the day, we tend to agree on the major issues at around a 60-4o or 70-30 split. It’s just at the moment, that 30/4o percent control the message and the political levers (see Fox News and gerrymandering). Again, that’s not going to last (as evidenced by Fox News’ primary sponsors being end-of-life medications and courts tossing out voter rights restrictions).

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Thread.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Conflict sells. Who would watch Fox, MSNBC or CNN (or the local news) if they came on every now and then and said "Everything's pretty okay right now!"
    I hate to use movies as metaphors, but the Alec Baldwin speech in Glengarry Glen Ross - Always Be Closing has a lot of truth in it.
    That Stripes gif earlier in the thread - don't know how many times I've had scenes from that movie have popped in my head. Trump as Larroquette "I wish I was a loofah" or various GOPers emulating Sgt. Hulka jumping off the (GOP) truck as it careens into Czechelslovakia - maybe last night was :
    Captain Stillman : All right, soldier, let's see how you fire that mortar.

Soldier with Mortar : What coordinates, sir?

Captain Stillman : [annoyed] Coordinates?

Soldier with Mortar : Yes, sir, they determine where the mortar's...

Captain Stillman : Soldier, the army has spent a lot of money teaching you to fire that thing. Now set it and fire it.

Soldier with Mortar : Sir, we don't know where the shell's gonna...

Captain Stillman : Soldier. The only way to learn anything is to do it. Now fire the weapon.

Slacker likes this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

>grin<

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know who would see the "Mission Accomplished" as good verbiage to use.
    It became a punchline used on Bushies in the GOP.
    Trump used Iraq as a way to used GOP dissatisfaction with Iraq to separate himself from the rest of the GOP field.

How could anyone see that phrase and not do a face palm? Particularly after a missile salvo? Trump may as well have told the Pentagon they're doing a "Heckavajob"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.