1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Big Circus likes this.
  2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I think it's impossible to answer without knowing more about what exactly the government is investigating and what is in the documents, which are going to be reviewed either by a taint team (the government's request/expectation) or a neutral special master (Cohen's request/expectation). I think that review is where the court gets its information to figure out whether any exceptions to the attorney-client privilege apply here.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You could, I suppose, ask her for her autograph.

Maybe it'll be worth something, like the value of a free drink, in 20 years.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Is the judge saying the name should come out in open court, or just that she should learn it in chambers? Makes a difference, I'd think.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I got Morganna's autograph once when she was at a minor league game I was covering. Looked a lot like this ...

[​IMG]

HanSenSE and Baron Scicluna like this.
  6. franticscribe

I don't think that distinction matters to attorney-client privilege if the client has said "don't disclose anything." I would expect that if giving the identity in chambers was something the client would be amenable to, Cohen's lawyers would have offered to do that in their letter.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There is something so great about @franticscribe's intelligent and seasoned view of the legal ramifications of Michael Cohen's requests standing shoulder-to-shoulder with @doctorquant's remembrances of Morganna drawing her boobs for him on a napkin in 1987.

I love this fucking place.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, to me, the neutral special master seems like the right way to go about it. Cohen will use every civil liberties claim he can conjure to try to create speed bumps to delay what I think we all know is the inevitable, but he deserves due process and it should err on the side of caution.

I actually thought that by taking this to the Southern District of New York, Mueller was masterful in that it makes it so that they can't make Mueller the issue (this is Trump's own justice department). I also loved the fact that the fourth amendment was adhered to to the letter of the law in getting the warrant. Just the fact that they were able to get a no-knock warrant from a judge despite the connection to the president of the United States, suggests that they presented some devastating direct information establishing probable cause. I'd imagine Cohen is fucked, and he knows it, but at the same time he deserves the presumption of innocence any of us do.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. doctorquant

@franticscribe mentioning a "taint team" is pretty fucking awesome, too.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, the anti-abortion crowd is also against Planned Parenthood, which offers prenatal care among its services.

11. franticscribe

They're not nearly as fun as they sound.

Big Circus and doctorquant like this.
  12. doctorquant

Sigh ... another fantasy bites the dust.

franticscribe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.