1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just saw a reporter's tweet referring to Cohen as "embattled." As we all know, "embattled" is newspaperese for "hopelessly fucked."

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Are they quitting because they are worried that they might lose (either to a Trumper or a Dem), they don't want to spend 5 months defending Trump, legislating isn't that much fun when you are in the majority or because running for office is just a pain?

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm sure that a lot of Trump's stuff was very shady. As I've written here before, working in high end apartment buildings is basically a money laundering/parking haven. And Trump doesn't seem the type of a guy to do extra due diligence which would cause him to ever turn down the chance to make a buck at anything, especially where there is low financial risk to him.

But Cohen went from being an ambulance chaser to a taxi medallion magnate in bed with some scary dudes pretty quickly. He may have some serious issues outside of Trump relationship/employment.

On another point, I like the theory advanced by Adam Davidson that Cohen opening his own firm despite not really practicing law for a decade was simply a way to claim the privilege for all of his Trump dealings, even when he was working for the Trump Organization.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All of the above, or some combination of the factors you cited. Also, there's a one-year moratorium before a former Congressperson can go to work as a lobbyist. Early retirement gets that clock started.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Russian dude in the taxi cab medallion business looks like a piece of work. Just pure gangster stuff. I am curious about how they were pulling money out of that, though. It would be delicious if Trump is somehow involved. It's got to be something pure gangster / twisted where they are ripping people off somehow. I really want to know details. Because the price of medallions has been plummeting over the last few years. They ran up in a speculative bubble as the Fed started its shenagins after the financial crisis, but when Uber and Lyft caught on, the bubble started to pop and has really crashed over the last 2 to 3 years. A lot of poor saps who took out huge loans to buy medallions for a million dollars or more around 2012, 2013, 2014 are now sitting on asset worth as little as $150K. There are so many of those loans that are severely under water.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just wait until Trump gives him the vote of confidence.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is Thursday the new Saturday?

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

May there be many, many more.

Thread Status: