1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Now that the Castros are out of power in Cuba, some elections have been held, and businesses are opening, isn’t it time that all the Cubans in the US that came to America to escape communism go back home? Let’s start Senor Rafael Cruz. We dont need those immigrants any more

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Very fine people on both sides of human trafficking.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Tariffs on human trafficking

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just got back from four days of trout fishing. It was spectacular. Thanks to all on the thread who provided a quick synopsis of everything I missed while unplugged.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I'm from New York, so I know traffic, okay folks. I mean, am I right? The traffic, its unbelievable, that I can tell you. It really is. There was a congressman way back when. Traficant. Bad guy. Really bad guy. I won't mention that he was a Democrat, but he was a Democrat. Anyway, the stuff this guy was into would amaze you. Really. It would. Bribery, very corrupt. Not as corrupt as you know who, but still very corrupt. Typical of his party, its a shame to say. Anyway, his hair was really unbelievable. Like you couldn't literally believe it folks.

BadgerBeer and franticscribe like this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"Suspected." LOL.

A year into the investigation, and after already indicting him, they provide no evidence of this, they just use the "suspicion" to justify their investigation into his previous work, going back a decade.

Defense attorney Kevin Downing argued anew to U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson in Washington that even Mueller’s appointment order permitting him to probe “any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation” wouldn’t cover the political consulting work that Manafort did in Ukraine for a decade.

But Justice Department attorney Michael Dreeben said prosecutors were justified in investigating Manafort because he had served as Trump’s campaign chairman.

“He had long-standing ties to Russia-backed politicians,” Dreeben told Jackson. “Did they provide back channels to Russia? Investigators will naturally look at those things.”

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

A better headline would be "Manafort Was Suspected of Serving as 'Back Channel' to Russia." The prosecutors were justifying why they investigated Manafort in the first place, which led to the lobbying charges. There is nothing in the article to support a claim he is still suspected of being a back channel.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

NC apparently works for the Trump White House.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trump finds a lawyer to join the team.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

From Washington Post:
    Former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, a combative former prosecutor and longtime ally of President Trump, told The Washington Post on Thursday that he has joined the president’s legal team dealing with the ongoing special counsel probe.
    “I’m doing it because I hope we can negotiate an end to this for the good of the country and because I have high regard for the president and for Bob Mueller,” Giuliani said in an interview.
    Giuliani, who joins a legal team that has struggled to recruit new members to its ranks, said he has been speaking with Trump for weeks about joining the group of legal advisers. He said he would work alongside Trump’s current attorneys, Jay Sekulow and Ty Cobb, who focus on the federal investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. He also said he will soon take a leave from his law firm, Greenberg Traurig

Another political hack that hasn't been a real lawyer in 30 years. There is no way Rudy is smart enough and thoughtful enough about the law to successfully out argue and out litigate Mueller’s team.

F Lee Bailey is still alive. He’s disbarred but he’s got a name Trump would like

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Giuliani is there to go on TV, I mean Fox and say shit that'll make Trump feel good when he watches, period. How could he (or any other lawyer, even a real hotshot DC litigator) "negotiate" an end to an ongoing criminal investigation that is also an ongoing counterespionage investigation? For that matter, Giuliani is also a potential subject and/or witness in the FBI Inspector General's ongoing investigation of the anti-Clinton leaks from its New York office.

BadgerBeer and HanSenSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.