1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Even if the second 19 PAs were actually Ohtani's first 19 ABs, I wouldn't say it shows he's not ready for the start of the season. Hitting .235 isn't good, but it isn't awful. 4-for-17 with six strikeouts is basically what Kole Calhoun has been doing every 19 PAs since the beginning of last season. The Angels keep running him out there. Plus you still have Ohtani's pitching.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I agree. It wouldn’t show he wasn’t ready, necessarily. But we would have been much more willing to entertain the possibility, especially coupled with his bad spring.

3. Dick Whitman

If it seems like I have stacked the deck so that I’m right no matter what, it’s because my point was incredibly banal to begin with.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it's because you're full of shit.

You aren't right no matter what. You aren't right at all. Ohtani was ready for the majors when the season started. The scouts thought he wouldn't be able to adjust quickly enough and they were wrong. Also, his bad pitching performance Tuesday has nothing to do with preparation. He couldn't get a feel for anything but his fastball, which makes sense when a pitcher has a blister that forces him out of the game early.

The negative verdict on Ohtani was clearly wrong. The rest is you just trying to lawyer your way out of it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I feel like everything that has happened on SJ.com happened simply to lead us to these last two consecutive posts. It's the ultimate reason for this site's existence.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That technique is typically only used regarding Pennsylvania-based sports teams that were good in the '70s.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

We're going to do this Ohtani thing all year, aren't we?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That, and the Pirates.

Thankfully, OOPBot is always right about the Pirates, and any move they make only proves how right he is.

JC and LongTimeListener like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Us and everyone else.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ohtani is a big story coming into this season.

But, we're the only ones who will have to read all season long about the Pirates terrible off season, even if they continue to play well.

11. Dick Whitman

I won't.

JC likes this.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Orioles-jack.

They suck. They suck so very much. Season is basically over by 4/20. As predicted. Move Machado now, get some sort of assets in return. He ain't coming back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.