1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My edit didn't make deadline.

Please see above.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

To avoid such unfortunate situations in the future, how can we more efficiently ensure uniformity of thought?

SpeedTchr and Sea Bass like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Its usage was probably a bit of sloppiness on my part, but I was also gigging you a bit. I don’t see racism/white supremacy as one and the same, if only because, as you note, one doesn’t need to be white to be a racist. My beef is with the usage of the terms as is of the vogue. I’ve consistently maintained such usage is a rhetorical ploy intended to short-circuit debate: Who would lower himself to a debate with a white supremacist?

And a black guy wearing a MAGA hat (as in the subway pusher story) ... you’re gonna have a helluva time convincing me that he’s a white supremacist.

4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

It appears as if she thought she should. I know you are not a big fan of women having the right to choose so this might be difficult for you.

Baron Scicluna and poindexter like this.
  7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The “white supremacy” language gambit is an interesting one. It seems like a move intended to force people to have to distinguish between their own views, which they presumably think of as acceptable, and the views held by those traditionally labeled “white supremacists,” who are people they would not want to associate with. At its core, the primary difference seems to be that the newly christened “white supremacists” do not make their views a core part of their self-identity while traditional “white supremacists” do. I’m sure they think there are some nuances in their views, as well. Traditional “white supremacists” openly believe blacks are inferior. Nu-white supremacists simply think “the blacks” need to “take some personal responsibility.” When you drill down on that, though, as I have tried to many times here, it’s difficult to establish a meaningful distinction.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

She had no choice.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Today's use of of the phrase "white supremacy" is far broader than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.