1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wow, you can be awfully charitable / naive when you want to be.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's a fifth-hand quote, twice removed, of President Bill Clinton saying something so over-the-top that even most virulent racists probably don't speak that way to one another.

Forgive my skepticism.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Do you think Bill is a white supremacist? What about Ted? Ted had to be, right?

4. Guy_Incognito

No, but like many of their generation, especially for a man from Arkansas, I think there's a deep-seated, casual racism that comes out when no one is listening and they aren't being careful. The context of the conversation was Hillary vs. Obama. I think he meant that he's come a long way and his time will come but he should wait his turn.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great find showing how far America has come. And that’s the best argument for affirmative action,ever. Thanks for finding it. A few years ago a black guy could, at best, hope to carry the bags for a President and Senator. Now, he can become Editor of the Harvard Law Review, United States Senator and President of theUnited States.

OTOH, a heathen New Yorker, adulterer, failed businessman, sexual predator, baby daddy with multiple women has flipped the South. Donald Trump is the greatest red neck of all time. Donnie Reb.

6. Dick Whitman

I may be naive, but on the flip side I think it requires a pretty dark view of human nature to believe that former United States President Bill Clinton would openly express to a sitting United States Senator that Barack Obama needs to wait his turn because he's black.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There is no way he did that. Remember when Bill was the first black president because he played saxophone on Arsenio?

8. Guy_Incognito

Not because he's black - for lots of reasons - youth, inexperience, the value of a woman president etc. This was likely a pile on / cherry on top. You really think - eyes wide open- that your reading is most likely?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Clinton was a trailblazer. Without him, we never would have had a gay Jewish president.

[​IMG]

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Likewise true here.

11. Dick Whitman

I think it's much more likely than Bill Clinton making a crack to Ted Kennedy that Barack Obama needs to wait his turn because he's a black man and because black men would have been "carrying our bags" just a few years before. I just do not believe that happened.

It happens 20 times a week on here alone, the classic example of @Bodie believing that "All in the Family" was a "racist show." Or a poster will say something meant to lampoon or express someone else's point of view, and suddenly they are "racist" or "misogynist" or whatever else might apply. If I had a few hours just to sit here and dig, I could find you 50 examples.

Plus, the media constantly sensationalizes instances like this. Donald Trump "defended white supremacists." That ran in the New York Times. Donald Trump "admitted to/bragged about committing sexual assault." That ran everywhere. The media oftentimes abhors context. Takes the fun out of everything.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Whose bed have your boots been under? Boots' bed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.