1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So if California "outlawed" the therapy in 2012 ... why, in 2018, is California considering "completely" outlawing it?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No idea.

You're the one who introduced the conversion therapy sidebar.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

See?

5. doctorquant

Sheesh ... you big-timers sure can't be bothered details. It was only proscribed, in 2012, for licensed therapists, etc.

And the reason I brought it up was in response to the latest entry in the @Baron Scicluna oeuvre wherein he said that parents, not the state, should be solely responsible for medical decisions regarding their children.
    I said I doubted he truly believes that and trotted out conversion therapy as an instance in which I was certain he would vehemently disagree with his stated position. @typefitter (et al.) wisely noted that in this, as in almost all such matters, there are limits.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Spare me the byplay, doc.

Dick asked for case law, including news coverage.

I linked to the first couple things I saw.

I wasn't making any argument at all.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wasn’t trying to be argumentative. I wanted to analyze as this was news to me but I couldn’t give you an answer without seeing the courts’ reasoning.

9. doctorquant

OK, fine. Then, yes, both Slate and The Atlantic were wrong.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I know.

More and more state governments are banning conversion therapy. Which was dq's original point.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

DQ is hitting on the important point. Nobody believes parents should have 100% unfettered right to do anything with their children they please. It’s just a matter of which limitations you find distasteful

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think doc’s point was that Baron should think a little before making broad proclamations about what he believes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.