1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The O'Donnell decision is not related to pay for play. That's still illegal. It's not covered by bribery, but by extortion. Hatch Act violations are still against the law.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And we'll always have some version of you. A partisan hack and his broad brush by any other name would smell just as...

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yet, you seem to bring all the partisan hacks together. You should win the SJ Peace Prize.

Fly likes this.
  4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

You have a cite for that? In interpreting the Hobbs Act extortion provision, Evans v. United States says that: "We hold today that the Government need only show that a public official has obtained a payment to which he was not entitled, knowing that the payment was made in return for official acts." And in the McDonnell (not O'Donnell) case, the "parties also agreed that obtaining a 'thing of value . . . knowing that the thing of value was given in return for official action' was an element of Hobbs Act extortion, and that they would use the definition of 'official act' found in the federal bribery statute to define 'official action' under the Hobbs Act."

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Details, schmetails ...

7. Michael_ Gee

Access to an elected official is of course an official act. Denying said access is an official act. If you are demanding payment to meet with citizens, that's extortion. The Supreme Court ruling, and I admit it was unanimous, in O'Donnell was an atrocity. It won't belong before we find out a Justice took bribes. Ten years at the latest.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Jesus, Gee ... During my oral comps this one examiner (Fred) kept pestering me over this one point. I was right, he was wrong. Finally, after he’d kept on, and on, and on ... one of the senior examiners said, “Goddamn, Fred, how many fucking times does this guy have to tell you you’re wrong before it sinks in?”

So I’m going to ask you ...

HanSenSE, SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  9. lcjjdnh

Umm...no. Try again.

10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Fred's son is exactly the same way.

11. lcjjdnh

Eh, it's just a little time in federal prison. Who cares if we get the details right?

(And I personally haven't researched this question, so I may very well be wrong--in which case I'll be happy to admit it. But not convinced by what I've seen so far.)

12. Michael_ Gee

People have gone to prison for pay to play. It is also for sure a violation of House ethics rules which could get a member expelled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.