1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yeah, cut her mic, someone.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Lakefront is a woman? That’s still always a surprise to me to find that out about a poster.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This was so incredibly stupid that I thought Rainman posted it.

You were my second guess.

4. Dick Whitman

Ten pages until we got to, “Well, why can black people call each other that then?,” though.

That’s like a no-hitter in message board society.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But no one is defending the joke.

The point is that teenagers are dumb.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think the kid needs to be tarred and feathered, but he is old enough (18) to understand the joke he is making.

And the joke has no direct relevance to asking someone on a prom date. It simply plays off the word 'pick' and places it in the most offensive context possible.

Somehow, it's ok because the young man might not be a racist?
    OK, let's just follow that logic and the logic of intentional offensiveness/outrageousness as a mechanism for humor.
    Then what we're saying along that line of humor is: The young man does not hate black people or think they are inferior to whites; he only wants to offend black people and offend black people.

So to clarify further, in the context of race and ethnicity, it is ok to intentionally offend someone as long as you don't hate that person.

7. Dick Whitman

I think you are arguing with a bunch of people who are largely in lockstep agreement with you.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He’s 18.

There is almost nothing, short of killing a person, that an 18-year-old would do that can’t be chalked up to “he’s a fucking idiot because he’s 18.”

9. Dick Whitman

Here's what happens:

1. "I am going to make a joke so outrageous about race/sexual orientation/gender that everyone will obviously realize I don't mean it."
    2. As racist/homophobia/sexism are things, people don't obviously realize this.

10. Dick Whitman

In my extended group of college friends are a couple, Josh and Scott. Josh was my friend Max's best friend from high school.

Anyway, last year, Josh and Scott couldn't go do something with us, maybe going to a Red game or something.

Whitman to Max: "Are Josh and Scott going?"

Max: "No, they can't make it."

Whitman (just making conversation): "Oh, really? What are they doing?"

Max (deadpans): "Sucking each other's dicks, I'm assuming."

See, that's funny. But I wouldn't go Instagramming it.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

18-year-olds can join the military. Why shouldn't they be able to drink and take responsibility for telling racist jokes?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's almost as if you're around teenage boys or something ...

YankeeFan and LongTimeListener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted