1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with this child case in Britain. What's it all about?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I do have compassion for the child and his parents. I think it's disgusting to sow fear in others, as this has done, without cause. This piece has absolutely no evidence that such things will happen in the U.S. It is therefore crass exploitation of a tragedy. It's what the NRA does every time there is a mass shooting. It cries, "They're coming for your guns," before the bodies are cold. And there is never any possibility that anybody is coming for your beloved guns.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think everyone is doing their best. The doctors. The judges. The parents. The people in the street.

No one can save Alfie Evans and there's no one to blame and that's impossibly hard to bear.

HC likes this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Oh, come on.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Dude. Show tune jokes? :)

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A child has a terminal illness where his mitochondria don't work right and do not get sufficient energy to his cells.

His doctors say that everything that can be done has been done, and further desperate attempts at treatment or prolonging his life artificially would do him harm. His parents have found some doctors in Italy willing to take their money and do some experimental procedure.

In Britain, the parents and doctors are encouraged to agree on treatment. When they can't, it is not automatically the parents' decision, but falls to a court to be a tiebreaker. The court ruled with the doctors and is not allowing the parents to take the child to Italy.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've wondered that too. And how it's become the cause of the day. Seems like the folks outraged by it could be using that energy to help kids in their own hometowns.

lakefront likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Child is terminally ill and is about to die. British doctors recommend ending treatment. Parents fight to continue treatment, and, after being overruled by courts, want to take him to Italy, even though the Italian doctors also said that the child will die. British court is saying no, because they think the child would die on the way there, or be put in further distress.

Conservatives jump aboard the case because they think it's socialized medicine's fault and that the government is committing the equivalent of an abortion.

9. RickStain

Execution. They're calling it an "execution." Because they are shameless liars.

10. RickStain

Look, did Jesus spend all day helping people he wandered across, or did he consolidate political power and jealously guard it?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sounds like an upcoming Funny or Die video.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Doesn't Italy have socialized medicine too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.