1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I find myself of two minds about the Alfie Evans thing.

On one hand, I admire elements of the British system that lean toward brass tacks. If you want certain organs, you have to hit certain benchmarks on certain medical tests. If not, you're shit out of luck. I also think some elements of accepting you've done about all you can do are pretty healthy. If that's baked into a culture around medicine, it's probably a good thing.

On the other, the particular lengths the courts went to in enforcing elements of this seem unsettling. If some hospital in Italy wants to take the kid for free and have doctors experiment on him, it seems like England should let it happen assuming it could be done in a way that no longer makes it England's problem. Seems like too much to insist the kid stay somewhere to die. (If he goes to Italy, is he there forever under the care of someone who won't pull the plug? I saw somewhere suggest it would only be for two weeks, but I wasn't sure how solid that was)

But I think almost any discussion has to have the baseline that barring an act of God, the kid will either die or only avoid death because we have the ability to hold someone just off death's door for an extended period. There's about as good a chance this thread becomes 100 percent nice and agreeable as there is of any "breakthrough treatment" as some hack described whatever was awaiting the kid anywhere he's taken. He almost assuredly will not live any sort of conscious life ever. That's awful and terrible. It's awful and terrible that many kids die and how many kids live. It seems the point of interest here is primarily the governmental hand in it (ahh politics), but with the heartbreak as backdrop. It's also hard because sick people and relatives of sick people are by nature poor decision makers. They have the most stake and the least perspective. On occasion, they're right, more often, their put their faith in anything that gives them hope because they want/have to. Just a really tough deal.

Inky_Wretch and Azrael like this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Sudden outpouring of concern?

How do you know these “certain quarters” don’t care about/help others close to home?

For once, stop parroting talking points and say SOMETHING of substance.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Lordy, you of all people shouldn’t be grousing about talking points.

And, yes, sudden. It’s all over social media the past 24 hours with folks changing their profile photo to that kid’s face.

Not my nation. Not my fight. So I don’t understand the people worked up about it.

I hope the parents find peace and healing. I hope a miracle happens for them.

5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I find myself thinking along these lines. Provided the doctors in Italy aren't one step removed from Dr. Nick Riviera, I think the parents should be allowed to seek the treatment. I know its naive to think it could happen, but it would be nice if this child didn't become a political tool for competing agendas. Hypothetically, I can understand the argumentation of doctors counseling with parents in such instances. But I don't think its selfish or abuse to try to prolong the inevitable in hopes of a miracle. I get that the human element can be lost in these discussions, but the lack of compassion for this family seems pretty jarring to me.

QYFW and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Something of substance such as "babies are being murdered?" You mean something like that?

BTW, according to UNICEF, 5,500 kids under age 5 die every day in Eastern and Southern Africa. Where's all the Twitter outcry for them?

5,500 children die in Eastern and Southern Africa every day

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

ICE is sending children to countries where they face disease starvation assault and death. And the trumpflakes cheer

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and heyabbott like this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You only care about Americans? Is that a sudden development?

11. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Well played.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Fuck that. I can't fit 5,500 people into my Facebook profile thingy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.