1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trump is very different, but the democrats and the media sought to have Trump removed from office -- one way pr the other -- since the day after he won the election.

We've never seen anything like that before. It's not surprising that Trump didn't respond with kindness.

2. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't want to get in the middle of this but that is pretty damn funny.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Especially since he’s ghost writing his current book.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Every single person who didn’t enthusiastically join them is a human blight.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Wrong. You know exactly when the culture war got real.

Trump Obama is very different, but the democrats and the media McConnell and the obstructionist Republicans sought to have Trump Obama removed from office -- one way or the other -- since the day after he won the election.

6. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't think that's an unfair characterization.

His roast was on Comedy Central the other night, and I found myself pitying him a bit. I think he loves the limelight and adulation and he found it with with his political supporters. But even if he hasn't meant some of the awful things he's said, or maybe phrased them improperly, it speaks to a lack of discipline, preparedness, and respect for the position.

We clearly disagree about the relevance of the Russia investigation, but I'll concede that even without that looming over everything many would still try to undermine his presidency. Yet I think anything short of universal praise would have meant the same behavior from Trump.

I guess, basically, my personal view is that Trump's behavior as president was entirely predictable and would happen anyway. I won't argue that some of the push-back is way over-the-top, but I think an argument could be made that it would be irresponsible if everyone else treated his presidency as business-as-usual when it clearly isn't.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Culture war started before many if not most of us were born.

8. Slacker

Not like the past 10 years, though.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Ever heard of the 1960s?

10. Slacker

Yeah, that was bad. But this feels more unstable in the long run.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Trump and his evil supporters and his equally evil apologists continually use the gaslighting rhetorical trick whereby his abhorrence is painted as reasonable because people react to it and therefore aren’t both sides being aggressive?

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I have yet to see a real journalist defend Reid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.