1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jeez, Harper has a BA of .259 but OB of .450. Dude is only 25 after 7 seasons. Unreal.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It’s almost as if those counting stats are ridiculous.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dexter Fowler is hitting .164. White Sox color commentator Steve Stone notes “but he has driven in 12, which isn’t bad.”

YankeeFan and LongTimeListener like this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

no outing.

lcjjdnh likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Only thing the Mets can hope for is that Harvey pitches ok out of the pen so they can trade him for anything. Anything at all. And that’s highly unlikely.

You can get away with being a jerk when you’re a dominant player. Not so much when you suck.

What a fall. Ranks pretty high on the New York sports list of being a superstar to also-ran.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The BA still tells me he’s got a better chance of advancing base runners than a walk

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If he would shut up and pitch, he'll get another chance if he has anything left. The rotation after the top 2 is brittle and has been almost as bad as him. Even if they go to Gsellman and Lugo first, I have no doubts that there will be a game over the summer started by someone else, and if it's him and he's good he'll stick. It's a headline town and his headlines today ane decent outing and everyone has a short memory.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yankees shut out the Astros but all they show on SportsCenter this morning is Verlander's 14K's (and not-so-facacta stat*) and Sanchez's 3-run homer.

Not a single word, or highlight, of 6 Yankees pitchers who combined on the shutout ... or that Montgomery left after an inning for unspecified reasons.

* 5th pitcher since 1900 to pitch 8+ with 14 strikeouts and something (I seriously just forgot what the something is; early onset is hitting hard)

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Has Ohtani returned to the mean yet?

How about Cheri Otari?

11. Songbird

And Dee Gordon is 9 for his last 10 -- and 11 for 15.

12. Songbird

Hi, everyone, my name is Victor Caratini ... the name of someone who sounds like he should be on the Young and the Restless.

But actually, I started behind the plate yesterday to give Willson Contreras a breather.

In case you're wondering about my stats, and I know some of you are, here you go:

Code:

Year     Tm   Lg   G  PA  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS OPS+  TB
    2017    CHC   NL  31  66  59  6 15  3  0  1   2  4 13 .254 .333 .356 .689   80  21
    2018    CHC   NL  14  43  40  4 11  3  0  0   2  2 11 .275 .326 .350 .676   85  14
    2 Yr   2 Yr 2 Yr  45 109  99 10 26  6  0  1   4  6 24 .263 .330 .354 .684   82  35
    162     162  162 162 392 356 36 94 22  0  4  14 22 86 .263 .330 .354 .684   82 126

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
    Generated 5/2/2018.

Songbird probably wants to know about my RBI's. Well, I have 4 career ribbies and I hit .178 with runners on base -- but 5 of the 8 hits are doubles!

@Dick Whitman probably wants to know about my wOBA. Well, in 43 plate appearances this season it is .301, which puts me between Marwin Gonzalez and Michael Conforto. That's not such bad company. And hey, it's nowhere nearly as bad as the 3 worst wOBAns: Kole Calhoun (.188), Lewis Brinson (.223), and Yasiel Puig (.227) ... so I have that going for me.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.