1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No Vienna beef hot dogs? Boo!
    I'm getting thirsty looking at the price of an Old Style.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yu Darvish sucks

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Braves beat the Mets 7-0, and move into first place as late as May for the first time since 2014. Also on pace to win 101 games.

Is this real life?

Speaking of the Mets, deGrom left after 4 innings tonight with what was termed a hyperextended right elbow. Also:

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The early report on deGrom is a hyperextended elbow. He winced after taking a swing, then for some reason, they actually let him pitch another inning before removing him from the game.

The Braves also suffered an injury in the game. Shortstop Dansby Swanson was removed due to sore wrist.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Trout 524-foot homer off the O’s Dylan Bundy. The ball went over both bullpens, the left-field seats, the walkway behind the seats, and landed between the two Modelo beer booths. They said the exit velocity was 116. I know he had one at 117 in Colorado a couple of years ago.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

No, no it isn't.

But it sure is fun.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Speaking of Braves/Mets, this got a good chuckle out of me:

I've never understood why players wear jewelry like that while playing. I'm guessing that necklace was more expensive than my car.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That necklace was worth more than all the cars and trucks I've ever bought put together.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I assume like everyone else that the pitching will falter, but that lineup is stacked. Fun team to follow. Wish the SuperStation was still around!

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Agreed about the pitching, and I'm also wary of a team with that much youth sustaining such a long season. But even if this is just the season to set up the next one, it is way better than my expectations.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Foltynewicz does have a history of starting strong and falling apart, but he is only 26. Maybe this is the year he figures things out. The ability has always been there. Newcomb also has the talent to succeed. There is good reason for the concern about the Braves' pitching, but they have a lot of very good, young arms at the major-league level and in the minors. I agree that it is more likely that the pitching will fall off at some point, but it's not a sure thing.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Agree with all of you given how the team is currently constructed, but there is enough talent in the minors — and God knows Anthopoulos isn't afraid to trade away prospects — that if this team is still hanging around at the deadline, they might try to swing a trade for a proven starting pitcher like Chris Archer, Cole Hamels or Michael Fulmer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.