1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How about a good pitcher?

Songbird likes this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fulmer is good. Archer's better than his numbers this year (4.01 FIP, and would be even better out of the AL East).

Hamels is not great, but again, getting out of the AL would help him. He's got a pretty big buyout next year, so he'd definitely be the least-attractive of the bunch.

Would the Giants ever trade Bumgarner?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thank you.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

HELLZ TO THA NO!!!!!!!!

Nah, the Giants locked him up long long ago. He has not turned in a great regular season that would have triggered some escalators and such, so they have him through 2019 at $12 million.

He’s arguably the best bargain in MLB.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe Kershaw will sign with the Braves after the year is over.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Hi. I've won two Cy Youngs, make $10.7 million and this is me smiling."

7. LongTimeListener

Let's compare Game 7 lines!

Alright, yeah, he's a better bargain.

The point remains regarding Bumgarner's trade potential.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just like to make Corey Kluber smiling jokes.

I always feel "bad" (relatively speaking) for guys who blossom late and get stuck in a contract. There's really no way to ever make up that money.

9. LongTimeListener

But in both cases, their contracts were records for pitchers with their service time (Kluber pre-arbitration, Bumgarner between one and two years of service). Team took a big risk on them too. They had the chance to ride it out but took the guarantee.

lcjjdnh and Hermes like this.
  10. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

Yeah, right now the Braves are so much fun to watch. About time. I am really hoping that Foltz, Newcomb, and Gohora can become more consistent. A rotation of Foltz, Newcomb, Gohora, and Soroka could be really fun. They've got a guy in AA right now who is dominating. I am not crazy about shelling out money for pitchers like Archer or Hamels. I'd rather the Braves go after a 3B or C next season. That said, I would love if Carmago could stick at 3B. But he's probably best in a super utility role. How about Manny Machado :)

It will be interesting to see how things play out this season, but I am sure glad I have MLBtv right now. And yeah, I could see AA trading some prospects. The Braves have plenty of arms.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Isn't their top third base prospect, Austin Riley, also highly regarded? I wonder if they want to go big on a long-term option with him on the way.

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

In the OCR gamer, it says there wasn't an accurate measurement of the HR. Trout said he hit it farther than the one in 2014 in KC that was reported to be 489.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.