1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB 2018 regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They yanked the guy at 84 pitches?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a damn about your fantasy baseball league. (Though even Songbird must admit Albies is much more fun to own than Happ.)

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

He's not stretched out -- was their long reliever until Montgomery got hurt

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Sample size seems OK ...

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Now nothing going on at Guaranteed Rate Field.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5/6/98

John B. Foster and Batman like this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Otherwise known as Bill James Arbor Day.

#boing

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There's some positive variance in Ohtani's batting results. He's not going to have 33% of his fly balls go for home runs for his whole career, nor will he have 39% of his balls in play drop for hits.

But 64 PAs is enough for some of the most basic stats to start to stabilize. His contact rate on pitches in the zone is about average, so he's not overwhelmed by major league pitches. His contact rate on swings at pitches outside the zone is actually really good, which is interesting. Ideally he'd swing at fewer of them, but he can go out and get stuff when he needs to. He's clearly got above-average power and he's not completely allergic to walks.

So even if we're just doing a lazy stat-scout, I think it's safe to assume Ohtani can hit at the MLB level.

Unrelated, I saw "Walker Buehler contributes to no-hitter in Mexico" and assumed this was some kind of deep-cut reference I wasn't familar with. I'm old and don't keep up on regular-season MLB like I used to.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the mighty Braves are swept by the Giants, who have quietly won five straight series. And only one loss since Cy Sandoval took the mound.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Per the P-D story: Molina sustained a traumatic hematoma that needed immediate medical attention.

Molina undergoes emergency surgery, expected to be out for at least a month

12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

... with a tarp roller chasing him ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.