1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"Also, the bikini team from those Old Milwaukee ads? Actually from Iowa. Which means Jesper Parnevik's hat is now our most recognizable, legitimate symbol."

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Left out “breathes”.

Batman likes this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Some interesting thoughts I've read on the subject now that it's had a few days to play out.

1) Americans of Chinese descent and Chinese people tend to have different points of view on this sort of issue, and I don't think this is the first case where we've seen that sort of divide.

2) A lot of the problem with cultural appropriation and the legacy of imperialism and colonization. China wasn't untouched by either, but it's not quite the same legacy as, say, Native Americans or Africans.

5. Vombatus

Visiting navies have a way of abusing the indigenous populations.

Cause little bastards too.

I suppose armies do it also.

6. Vombatus

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It’s a fucking dress. She’d have been within her rights to tell the 40-year-old virgins attacking her on Twitter to go fuck themselves.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, but that would have been neither empathetic nor sympathetic. We must uphold the craft. [/crossthread]

YankeeFan and QYFW like this.
  10. Vombatus

Well, if they do go fuck themselves, are most vibrators made in China?

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Speaking of cultural appropriation, did anyone else catch Stormy Daniels on SNL?

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wow, I can't believe I wasted 7 minutes on that. Why did you post it? I don't think I cracked a smile. Was there anything funny or clever?

Draft saved Draft deleted