1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It’s SNL. Why would there be?

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I bet we all wished we could hire our lawyers to pay her money to shut up now.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Speaking of people in the news today: One of Rudy Giuliani's finest moments was in the first episode of SNL after 9/11. Lorne Michaels asked him if it was OK to be funny, and Rudy responded, "Why start now?"

9/11 Tribute with Mayor Giuliani

QYFW likes this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That was the same thing he said when Trump asked if he should start telling the truth.

6. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I an fairly engaged in education issues in my city and have had a few Twitter scrapes with advocates who are pretty left leaning, people who liken French Immersion to Segregation.

My kids go to a Spanish Bilingual school. As part of a year end celebration the Spanish bilingual schools do a performance called Que Pasa.

Picture mostly white kids in traditional garb doing Mexican dances, Peruvian songs, etc. My own little man was clumsy and charming in his Flamenco number.

I posted a photo on Twitter thanking the school board and teachers. Lots of likes.

Also 2 DMs this morning asking if I felt my photo was culturally appropriate. FFS. What is up with these people who seem to go thru life looking to be aggrieved?

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Just ran a story about a local Que Pasa event. Seems like it has become a (fun, harmless) thing.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My best friend's daughter goes to a French immersion school in Kansas City. Last week, he forwarded an email they sent parents that Netflix was looking for subjects for the new Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Like LTL said, it fits somehow!

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is it cultural appropriation when non-Americans wear blue jeans? Or when hipsters wear Filson and Red Wings in the city?

Draft saved Draft deleted