1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or any countless number of rock 'n' roll singers with any countless number of blues singers.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Don’t parse my words, honkey.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I understand the sensitivity that needs to be displayed. I'd never throw a bat mitzvah for my daughter. Or a Quinceañera.

I do think it's silly for people to lose their shit over that dress. I wonder if the same people are offended at the fashion at last night's Met Gala - which featured people appropriating Catholic priests' vestments?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It does feel like the US is the only country/culture that that repeatedly acknowledges its transgressions but the culture has changed and is inclusive and diverse. And its an evolutionary process not an abrupt process. Additionally, many Americans whose roots in this country extend 100 years or more are tired of constantly being confronted with their guilt. How many times can you apologize, is their feeling. They are mostly wrong, they haven’t done enough, but still ... you have to understand them.

And, as I’ve said, we are ceasing to be a melting pot. And this is aggressively pursued by those wishing to join. The larger community should accommodate but not be torn apart. America’s sin is not slavery but reconstruction, Jim Crow, segregation and post Civil War racism. Blacks that wanted to be part of America were pushed so long and so hard that they then rejected immersion and constructed a separate culture. And now the ignorant whites use that as justification for hate.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Not silly, stupid.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen a single person in the thread agree that the dress was a problem. The articles referring to it noted that while there were some online complaints, a larger part of the culture on display approved of the dress.

The only reason this thread has reached 18 pages is because people want to use it as a jumping off point to complain about the entire concept of cultural appropriation.

7. Dick Whitman

When I sold my house to a black man, a neighbor came over and read me the riot act for selling "to another fucking Monday."

8. RickStain

This concept of "If I didn't intentionally hurt anybody, I can't have been wrong" seems to be very important to conservative white culture. My theory is that they know they're being harmful and want to be able to feign ignorance as a perpetual defense.

If you bump into someone on the street, just apologize, don't yell at them about how you didn't mean to so it wasn't wrong.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Can you come speak to my kids?

10. RickStain

Intelligence-based insults are ableist.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

So this girl bumped into all of China and hurt their collective butts?

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is not new information. I'm sure everyone here is already well-versed on the nasty history of white people. But that still doesn't explain to me why it's not OK for a teen girl to respectfully wear a beautiful dress to her prom, or for a white college kid to choose to have dreadlocks in his hair, or other such similar "cultural appropriation" pseudo-controversies that have arisen in recent years.

To me, there's almost a "boy that cried wolf" aspect to this. If liberals keep playing the "whites are historically evil" card to justify silly faux outrages like this, then folks eventually stop taking it seriously each time it's used. Save that card for the real injustices, not this sort of nonsense.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    CD Boogie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted