1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mariah Carey?

What about when Blondie rapped?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

True. The line separating Mick Jagger from Al Jolson is not always clear.

3. Dick Whitman

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When we first moved to Texas, my daughter's daycare bestie (and the bestie's mother and little brother) were going to fly out here on an impromptu visit. They wanted to keep it a surprise, so I convinced my daughter that I needed her to accompany me to the airport to pick up a distinguished visiting scholar, and family, flying in from China. To enforce the ruse, I had her practicing the proper "bow" form.

[​IMG]

5. Dick Whitman

Here's my favorite one:

About a decade or more ago, my wife was teaching in an elementary school in central Indiana. A first- or second-year teacher had the students all make little construction paper American Indians, with some mumble jumble about what they were thankful for written on them.

Anyway, the big-block letter title to this display:

Me Got 'Em Smart Tribe

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Me wantum get Twitter roasted

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

But Eminem, given where and how he grew up, is of that culture even if he's not black. How about Kid Rock, who grew up upper middle class, but made a career and a fortune with a white trash persona?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, you guys are going to wrap yourselves in circles.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That was Puff Daddy, or whatever he goes by these days.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Having an opinion on it? Thinking about art and verbalizing those thoughts is culturally taboo?

Oh, man, I can’t wait until the left is going to be in charge and you and your political persuasion are calling shots.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

"Rapture" is an interesting one. I think that was early enough that it was more an incorporation of a new art form than it was cultural appropriation. It's borderline, though.

Kid Rock is certainly appropriating Southern White Trash, but I'm hesitant to call that "culture."

By the way, this thread is a good reminder that nothing gets white people as uncomfortable and defensive as any acknowledgement of race.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted