1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Dr. Jinx

Big Circus likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

White men are the only demographic that has this much trouble with the idea that some subjects need only their attention, not their interjection.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

For shame, these two
    [​IMG]

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I can see how you feel about it. Your side will have all the control you desire in about 10-12 years, and at that point you can shit down the throats of whoever you please, wherever you please.

I'm trying to tell you how good it's all going to feel when it happens.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I know you're smart enough to see how stupid these distinctions are. Gee, what if someone's only partially "of that culture", is it OK for them to do it? Is there a minimum "of the culture" threshold one must meet to be allowed to do such things without appropriation accusations?

As far as I'm concerned, the whole cultural appropriation concept is bullshit. No group has ownership rights over any fashion, style or type of expression. CA is just a term some sociology professor in search of tenure and notoriety made up--and then got a bunch of gullible students and wannabe PC warriors like Stain and sportspredictor to jump aboard--so now we've got to deal with knucklehead CA cops constantly looking for violations of a some new fabricated PC crime. Can we really not find more worthy things to bitch about?

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it probably started pretty reasonably - it seems OK to me that Chief Illiniwek is no longer a thing.

I once covered a high school where the male and female mascots smoked a "peace pipe" as part of the pre-game ceremony.

I mean, come on.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Want to try addressing @RickStain 's point? It's not a bad one.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A big reason why none of this ever resonates is the lecturing, indignant tone taken. Even the people who were yelling at the high school girl in the Chinese-influenced dress probably had a kernel of a point, but no one responds particularly well to getting RickStained.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, but rappers say the n-word all the time!

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Flame up the internets because a white teenager liked/wore a thrift-shop score ... yeah, I can see how the problem traces back to how awful not-woke white men are.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Should white people quit yoga?

What color gets to claim microbrews as its own?

Draft saved Draft deleted