1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not terribly smart, but in this case I just wanted to joke about Kid Rock.

I know cultural appropriation is real, and get there are legit cases that cause both unease and hurt. I try to be sensitive to that. But way too many white people go overboard with the concept because it's an easy way to prove how woke one is. Then they get even more self righteous people don't take seriously a concept they themselves turned into a joke.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Wisepoetry's a troll/not very good satire site.

I've mentioned his writing here before but Freddie DeBoer's a favorite writer of mine. Unfortunately he took a lot of his writing down. He's a lefty but has written a ton of critiques on free speech, cultural appropriation, etc. His piece on appropriation isn't ready available anymore but this was part of it:

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Amber.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Have you never been to a microbrewery?

Here is a Venn Diagram of American microbrew customers, skiiers, and long-distance runners:

[​IMG]

Iron_chet, doctorquant and Big Circus like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And when can we stop being worse than the Nazis?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Seriously, this is so stupid.
    [​IMG]

If you guys spend time counting up the appropriation "gotchas", you are going to lead a miserable fucking life. You know, like RickStain does. (I kid)

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Whose fault is that?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My dad's ancestors are from Poland and got rolled by the Nazis, but I am pretty sure all Euros were blamed for some atrocities earlier in this thread.

9. Dick Whitman

You know how sports fans get bitchy when their team gets trendy, and a bunch of teen-age girls who couldn't pick Bobby Hull or Stan Mikita out of a lineup start wearing their garb as an accessory?

That's analogous to CA. I get it. I get why, if you are an Chinese-American or a black American or a Hispanic-American, you might have a bad reaction to seeing your culture displayed as a decoration by someone you suspect knows nothing about it, nor cares.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

I don't understand the question.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yes you do

12. Dick Whitman

I don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted