1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Do so!

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I overwhelmingly see woke white people getting offended on behalf of another culture.

Alma likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think that's an issue of simple racism, not "cultural appropriation." The objections to and abolition of Chief Illiniwek occurred well before the term cultural appropriation had entered popular lexicon. That was a situation of doing a caricature of another culture, which is a quite different issue than controversies like this.

Nowadays we see a stink raised even when folks are not trying to caricature or mock another culture, but instead doing quite the opposite: adopting a fashion or style simply because they like and respect it, which seems harmless to me, but somehow offends others because it supposedly belongs to someone else. That, to me, is just dumb.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I did address his second point. His second point is “fuck these assholes” and, soon enough, he’ll be able to do that.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The thing with the Nazis is that they were doing to other white people what white people got away with doing to everyone else.

Germany confronts and acknowledges their role in Nazism and the duty they have in the present to deal with the aftermath, but ask a white American to confront their history and their duty in the present to deal with the aftermath and they will get *very* economically anxious.

6. RickStain

The problem is that you feel like your emotional reaction to the issue is more important than the people who take offense. And I can't think of a good reason why it should be.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Rick is not interested in persuading people. He considers that appeasement.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

And....here....we....go.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Tell me something, Rick, who do you think has the most standing to "take offense" about issues such as the subject of this thread? Since it's supposedly Chinese people who are being "appropriated" from, I'd say the answer to that is the actual Chinese. Well, guess what, the Chinese in China overwhelmingly support the girl and think dorks from your crowd are idiots for raising a stink over such silliness:

Chinese dress at US prom wins support in China after backlash
    Teenager’s Prom Dress Stirs Furor in U.S. — but Not in China
    Chinese are OK with Utah teen's controversial cheongsam prom dress
    Chinese dress at US prom wins support in China after internet backlash - ASEAN/East Asia | The Star Online

Based on that, I'd suggest you're the one who seems to think your view is "more important" than those with standing to take offense. If the evidence showed the actual Chinese were collectively offended, you might have a point. But it does not. If the evidence shows it's just wannabe PC-warrior dorky Americans raising offense then I can't say I'm obligated to give much of a shit, because I don't see where they've much more standing than I do on this issue.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    CD Boogie likes this.
  10. RickStain

If you don’t know why your premise here is wrong, you haven’t been reading the thread.

I’ll say it one more time for the lazy:

The dress does not appear to be problematic. This specific case appears to be getting a lot of publicity specifically because it’s weak sauce and it gives people who want to reject the entire concept a chance to riff about how silly it is.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that the people with the most standing to take offense would be Chinese people in America.

12. RickStain

I think that’s an argument Chinese natives and Chinese-Americans can have among themselves without most of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted