1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's inspiring to me that so many of you can even get out of bed in the morning with all the persecution you're dealing with as white men.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Meh, to be fair, that's not really what the CA thing was about. It's certainly morphed into that in some circles, but still.

Me wearing a vietnamese-type straw hat to get a laugh or two from my students ... that would be cultural appropriation as the idea first appeared. I'd not be remotely welcoming or embracing the ways of some other culture there.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not persecuted. I find the moral superiority complex from some fellow white men tiresome. Some of the people preaching the most about open-mindedness and listening paint with the broadest brush and don't think anybody else is capable of critical thinking on a case-by-case basis.

QYFW, Stoney and Batman like this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I maintain the theory that it wouldn’t bother you if it wasn’t hitting a nerve.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's fine. But this thread is filled with people who freak the hell out and get defensive the second race is brought up in anything. There's a whole lot of "I guess if I listen to Motown I'm a racist asshole, huh?!?" It's just silly.

I mean, how hard is it to just listen to other people now and then?

6. Jake_Taylor

It's not hard to listen. I think a lot of people on this board are good about it. But it's also OK to listen to different perspectives and say "you know, I disagree this time."

And on these issues I'm much more keen to listen to an actual minority than a fellow white guy who makes more generalizations than anyone else on the board because it shows how woke he is.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you don’t want things explained to you, stop using the faux not understanding rhetorical device.

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Why, this can't be true at all. They've been calling you a hoe for months. :cool:

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Anyone in mind?

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

But gay marriage is already legal.

11. Jake_Taylor

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is horseshit. You're usually an outstanding poster, but there are exceptions, and you're descending into your very exception-like Lavar Ball thread mode now. Nobody here has "freaked the hell out" because race was mentioned--that spin is just you baselessly trying to make yourself feel morally superior to the rest of us.

As for why race has been a significant part of this discussion, it's because ..well, obviously ....it's kinda hard to discuss this thread topic without addressing its CENTRAL ISSUE. How would you prefer we discuss this stuff?

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted