1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Sure, it can go both ways. But plenty of people are willing to have a civil dialogue without going there. Other people want to get combative and judgemental before a discussion even happens (that goes for both the "I guess I'm a fuckin' racist" folks and the "white people are the worst" crowd).

It's no wonder a lot of people say fuck it before any meaningful conversation is had.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Commercials is where I've seen the massive (positive) shift the last 15-20 years in terms of weaving blacks into the day to day American stuffs and situations that commercials have always been about. I think the same thing is slowly happening with gays in commercials. It's super subtle still but you can see more and more of it if you pay attention to what's happening in the commercials.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Again, dialogue is far more constructive.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Maybe someone needs to come up with a good successor to Christian ideology. Christians did that with Judaism. Radical Islam is trying but not finding much cache with the sane.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course.

The struggle right now seems to be over who gets to lead the discussion.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, gays in things like that are another one I have noticed. Good one to point out.

Plus there are little things. On other threads, people brought up how when I was 15, 16, you thought nothing of saying, "That's gay!" Now, that is not cool. ... I brought up on another thread that when I was a very little kid, I remember saying, "You are out of your cotton picking mind," and as an 8 or a 10 year old, I had no idea where that derived from, what it actually meant and it wouldn't have occurred to me that it would be offensive to someone else. I wouldn't say something like that today (except in familiar contexts-- in fact, I do say it to one of my closest friend who is black and grew up in the South. But he calls me a cracker-ass cracker, so I feel justified. BTW, neither of us would do that in the wrong context with the wrong people around, of course).

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What does D.B. Cooper have to do with any of this?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This can’t be emphasized enough ... but I think it also bears emphasizing that the “who?” question has to do with which subset of white people — the insufferables or the deplorables — is going to do the leading.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

79 percent of blacks in America identify as Christian.

54 percent read scripture once a week.

Religious Landscape Study

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Great!

Let's put those folks in charge of the discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted