1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Talk about cultural appropriation. We all know Jesus Christ and Santa Claus are white.

Seriously, that might be the biggest cultural appropriation ever: Europeans turning JC into a white guy and not a middle eastern man.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We Never Lost It /ahh, the religious bumper sticker wars of the '70s lol

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

How about Bob Costas?

[ducks]

Joe Buck?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I get the intended joke. ... But actually, that likely is a vestige of slavery. If you follow history (for example, this was in 12 Years a Slave), it was common for white slave owners to do Sunday prayer services for their slaves, and use it to brainwash the slaves into not being rebellious -- with a reading of Christianity built into it that made it normal for the blacks to be slaves. ... in between the "find your comfort in Jesus" stuff.

Now skip ahead several generations. Whatever the genesis (no pun intended) of so many blacks today being Christian, that is the reality many blacks know. To me, for example, spinning ourselves into circles about how their ancestors were robbed of their "culture," and appropriated a religion their slave owners forced them to, serves no practical purpose. And the typical black person born in 1980 or 1990 doesn't really care. A given person might just know his or her baptist church. Not the generational history that led to him or her belonging to that baptist church.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Does it have to be one or the other? Can't it be both?

How about, "I thought the movie was really funny then. I think it's really funny --- and really racist --- now."

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

But some of them might be Christian males. I thought you wanted someone else to lead the discussion.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Up to you.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm happy to let folks of color lead the discussion, whatever their religious conviction.

I'm happy to let women run the discussion, likewise.

As stated, however, male Christianity has had the mic for quite a while.

If you're still talking after 1693 years, maybe take a breath and sit for a minute.

lakefront likes this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Racial humor is really hard to do well. It’s also very easy to botch. And that has been the case for a long time.

I think, recently, Dave Chappelle might have been the best at it. Also, I rewatched Hamlet 2 not too long ago, and that also did a really good job with the humor between the white and Latino students.

It’s quite evident that humility and self-deprecation go a long way when doing racial humor.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

This liberal says the majority of it is silly and I think it's a case of the extreme having a loud voice. There are great points to consider about our whiteness that has been said here, and most of us think sharing cultures is a good thing.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Lead the discussion," alone here (and you've used it a couple times), seems like an empty platitude to me without further explanation.

Let us in on how you conceptualize this. What does "lead the discussion" mean, in practical terms? What does it mean on the ground?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think what it might mean on a message board like this, for example, is a black woman articulating a point of view.

Or maybe it means following lots and lots of folks of color on Twitter to explore their different perspectives.

Or letting your African-American best friend tell you in detail how the culture and politics of America sit with him. Do this without interrupting or defending or judging his story.

Just letting other people talk for a change without being defensive or judgmental would be a great first step.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted