1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think that we are largely in agreement then. I would guess that I would probably be comfortable with more pushback than you would, but that's disagreement on the margins.

3. doctorquant

For whatever reason, with regards to the "who's gonna be doing the leading?" question, this great scene from Reds keeps coming to mind ...

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m going to divert from the racial stuff for a minute:

I’ve seen a lot of idiotic arguments recently about the Boy Scouts letting girls join. As far as I can tell, the only arguments against it are A) “They have Girl Scouts!”, 2) “It’s never been that way before!”, III) “Then why can’t boys join Girl Scouts?!”, and D) “It has the word ‘boy’ in the title!”

If the people making those “arguments” would shut the fuck up for a second and actually listen to, say, girls who want to join, or their parents, they would find the answers to all of those questions/comments. Answers that are completely reasonable and justified.

Instead, they make incorrect assumptions and pass them off as informed opinions, and then screech about The Libtards trying to silence anyone who disagrees with them. When, in actuality, this decision was anything but political.

5. Dick Whitman

I also think, regarding defensiveness, people generally have a difficult time grasping the other side of the debate, whether this discussion is about race or about something trivial like wOBA. Mischaracterization of someone else's argument is a scourge of this site - and this is a really good site!

On this thread, we have, "So you're saying I can't watch 'Friday'?!"

On a sports thread, we have, "So you're saying we should just let robots play baseball?!"

It's easier to "win," in one's mind, when you can process the other's person's stance in the most ridiculous way possible.

6. Dick Whitman

You're on fire today.

The current argument culture - as I put a lot more inelegantly than you in a simultaneous post - gets so tiresome.

7. doctorquant

Well sure, but what would be the fun of that?

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Listen to Monday's second hour of On Point. A woman argues against it from the viewpoint of boys and there are supporters of Girl Scouts who also oppose it.

9. Dick Whitman

@Batman is going to be my project.

I think he's smart enough and thoughtful enough to understand the discussion better than he is allowing himself to do right now. I think he still settles right of center, but a more empathetic right of center, and better equipped to usefully advance his own thoughts on this.

Give me six months.

10. Dick Whitman

[​IMG]

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He grew up poor and doesn’t get the same handouts that poor minorities get.

12. Dick Whitman

He thinks he's being clever when he's really just being stubborn.

Draft saved Draft deleted