1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with giving both sides an equal voice in talking about black-white relations in America is that as a whole, white people believe a whole lot of stuff that is provably wrong about race. They tend to severely overestimate, for example, the percentage of crimes committed by black people and underestimate the percentage of welfare spending that goes to white people.

When demanding equal say, we are as usual demanding our ignorance be treated the same as truth.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Is it really shocking or noteworthy that the Girl Scouts aren’t happy they have a competitor now? BSA changed because the demand for its product changed. That naturally correlates to decreased demand for what Girl Scouts do.

And, if by “viewpoint” of boys, you’re talking about the idea that they need to have girl-free outlets to do their “boy things,” that conveniently ignores that the older scouts will still be divided into single-sex units, at least at first.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

These things - "provably wrong" things - seem to be most effectively countered by facts, not by presenting one party a larger share of the microphone.

And I see plenty of liberals, including minority liberals, advancing inaccuracies via memes and otherwise.

4. Dick Whitman

It doesn't strike me as a bad thing for boys and girls to mingle socially at an early age. We seem to divide them - and they divide themselves - so quickly.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm glad I had to do Pinewood Derby with only one of my three.

6. MisterCreosote

To hear the arguments being made against it, you’d think “camping trip” is synonymous with “Lord of the Flies” or “Sodom and Gomorrah.”

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sounds like they might know a bit about the troop(s) I was in or around.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Just wanted to jump in to get the first "one time at band camp" reference.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You new on this planet?

10. MisterCreosote

If people are worried about kids rampantly fucking each other, band trips probably should be the first place they look.

11. Dick Whitman

You really think it's less effective than your "let the black people dictate the facts to white people" plan of action?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not germain to the main topic, but I, like Ragu, follow the interracial commercials. It is great, something not done in the past. Many white guys/women of color in the last couple years. Most are fabulously good looking, but they even have one (insurance? buying a new house?) with two very modest early 50's types. And I had never seen a white dad alone with a daughter of color until that commercial Ragu mentions.

I have not, to my recollection, seen a black guy and a white woman yet. I *think* there is one on currently. A white woman and black guy are on a couch, speaking to the camera. May be for a sports network, I only had a passing glance. They aren't holding hands and are not clearly a couple, but they sorta act like a couple. Advertisers are treading a little more slowly with the black guy and white woman.

Draft saved Draft deleted