1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Apparently the one that makes his wrist move.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nope. I'm laughing at you.

I've had a 100% consistent position at every point in this thread. Alma has repeatedly lied about what I've said, then complained that somehow the difference between his lies and the truth is evidence that I'm shifting the sands. If you want to agree with him, that doesn't reflect poorly on me.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You don't have a position. You have long steadfastly maintained that you have proudly outsourced your position. You've relieved yourself of the duty to critically think.

4. Dick Whitman

Yeah, that's rich.

5. RickStain

My position is that through critical thinking, the correct position for myself and the demographic that I share with most of this board is that we do not have standing to decide what is and is not cultural appropriation.

6. Dick Whitman

That's convenient.

7. RickStain

It's certainly controversial with some.

8. Dick Whitman

It's controversial with me because it's counter-productive to the cause you claim to hold dear. It's better that people understand what CA is, what might represent CA, and why something is considered CA, than it is for them to simply "shut up and listen."

You aren't attempting to help anything. You are simply staking out the high ground, then waiting for the deplorables to die off.

9. RickStain

The people who don't know aggressively don't want to know. You can explain it repeatedly, and they'll wait 10 seconds before helplessly asking if Russians wearing blue jeans is cultural appropriation because they just don't understand the definitions at all.

Begging for your Intellectually Fair cookies from them because you explained it ever so nicely is probably not as satisfying as you hope it is. I don't plan to find out.

10. Dick Whitman

I'm not "(b)egging for Intellectually Fair cookies," although this is the well you often go to when you're beginning to lose.

I just don't have the frighteningly dark view of human nature that you do. I think people are persuadable. In fact, people have proven to be persuadable, for millennia. In fact, I don't think that you have the frighteningly dark view of human nature that you claim to have. I think that the force field you have constructed permits you to earn your Woke cookies and relieve yourself of any responsibility to persuade people, in a fell swoop.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Photo evidence or it didn’t happen.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, I am listening (by reading)

2, I'm shutting up (for my own good because I'm just listening)

3, But Jesus H. Christ, there's no fucking need to denigrate Calabasas, Ta-Nehisi.

Funny to see Calabasas thrown under the literary-racial bus.

Draft saved Draft deleted